The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Routine
Old 6th September 2008
Gear addict

The Routine

Hi Dave,

What is the basic routine you use to put your mixes together?

Thanks.
Old 6th September 2008
Guest Moderator - September 08

I try to determine from the ruff the elements that form the foundation of the mix. Alot of times this can be the drums, it can be the guitars, or any number of things. Let's say it is a rock song, i would probably start with the guitars, then leads and backs, then drums, then go back and work on vocals some more, then put in all the little candy parts. On a pop or hip hop record I would start on drums and bass, then put in pads, and foundational keys and guitars, the vocals, then finish up. If I only have two or three hours for the mix, I always start with the vocals. I always study the ruff mix. Nowadays people spend a lot of time on them and they can tell you a lot of information. If you are the guy doing the ruff, then follow the music in your head. It is kinda like building a house. you don't start with the roof, you start with the foundation!
Old 6th September 2008
Gear addict

Thanks.

Old 7th September 2008
TLS
Gear Maniac

Hi Dave,

Following on from this - do you approach mixes from start to finish or do you prefer to get a section (e.g. chorus) sounding great and work from there?

Thanks.
Old 7th September 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pensado View Post
Let's say it is a rock song, i would probably start with the guitars, then leads and backs, then drums, then go back and work on vocals some more, then put in all the little candy parts.

So in a rock context do you actually bring up the guitars alone? Map them out and make them work alone without a rhythm section groove?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search