The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Technology and are we advancing? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

What piece of gear

What piece of gear (plugin or outboard) that doesn't exist would you like to see created and Why?

(Last time we spoke here, we discussed Colin England. Have u seen him lately? (I ask because I believe he's somewhere in LA now))
Old 6th September 2008
Guest Moderator - September 08

Hi, good to hear all is well with you. Please give Colin a heartfelt hello.

To answer your question let's review a bit of musical history. When synthesizers first came out they tried to sound like violins, guitars, pianos, etc. They only wanted to synthesize what existed in the real world (of course there are numerous exceptions to this but just follow along). Then as time progressed we got synthesizers like the Roland D50, Korg M1, Prophet 5, etc that were proud to make sounds that had never existed before. Right now with plugins we are at the stage were they are trying to emulate things in the outboard gear world. They even look like the gear. Soon some genious will invent a plugin that is proud to do something so radical that it will open the flood gates. That's when we get plugins that allow us to pan up an down, and to do all sorts of things. I can't wait until I can put on a helmet and "think" my mix into a computer. No knobs, gear, plugins, just my imagination!
Old 6th September 2008
I want that helmet. :-)
Old 6th September 2008
GRM Tools is on that road to nonlinearity.
Their stuff rules.

What's up Dave????
Old 7th September 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pensado View Post
That's when we get plugins that allow us to pan up an down, and to do all sorts of things.
I was always of the assumption that panning up and down is achieved by emphasizing high (panning up) or low (panning down) frequencies and cutting the opposite frequency area. At least that's what happens to my ear.

So a plugin like that shouldn't be too hard to write, I guess?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search