The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
For Dave - Compression
Old 1st September 2008

For Dave - Compression

Hi Dave, thank you so much for doing this again, we really appreciate it.

On a Sound on Sound article you commented that you never liked compression and that you really like dynamics in a mix, does that means that you use little compression or maybe none at all? Do you use fader rides instead of compressors or something like that? What is your approach?

Thanks thumbsup.
Old 4th September 2008
Guest Moderator - September 08

I probably should have said i don't like the "overuse" of compression. I honestly still can't seem to get a handle on 2-buss compression. I try it, then bypas it and like that better. I have been studying some Chris Lord Algae mixes lately and am amazed at what he does with compression. He is truly a master. I played in a lot of live bands, and quickly learned that dynamics were a major tool in entertaining an audience. I also learned from Ron Fair and Christina that when a singer gets loud, let them be loud! That is still hard for me to accept sometimes. If you check around I have outlined my division of compression into 3 categories before. Wanna guess? (I know, I know this isn't grade school, but I'm wiped. 2 all niters this week.
Old 7th September 2008
Gear addict

3 categories? Well, I didn't check around but from listening to your stuff and knowing you are a realist... one who knows the playing field in which they are kicking the ball, I would imagine the last category (3) is, "How will this sound in the real world, after they've done what they do to mixes now. You'd be very aware of that. Through plugins like an L2 or L3, etc.

1. Getting a vibe or tone on something.

2. Getting it to seat right.

No? Please elaborate.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search