The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dave, the Massive Passive
Old 22nd September 2004
Lives for gear

Dave, the Massive Passive

what do you think?
like it?
use it?
strong points?
weak points?

thank you!
Old 23rd September 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

Love it!

It has very few weaknesses. I have tried it and liked it on everything except stereo buss, vocals and guitars. It will be a classic. The company dissed me, but I still think they make some amazing stuff. What made you ask about this piece of gear? What do you like it on?
Old 23rd September 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Love it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Pensado
It has very few weaknesses. I have tried it and liked it on everything except stereo buss, vocals and guitars. It will be a classic. The company dissed me, but I still think they make some amazing stuff. What made you ask about this piece of gear? What do you like it on?
I used to use the Massive Passive alone and didn't like the sound of its highs until I started using it with the VariMu.

Somehow the two complement each other and the highs end up not so harsh (for the lack of a better word) since the VariMu darkens it a bit....
Old 23rd September 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Love it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Pensado
Thanks for the feedback.

I asked because it was a piece recommended to me by the thrillfactor; a mixer who contributes a lot of very good info here.

It is very popular here but people seem divided on what it's strengths are and I was curious about your opinion.

I use it on drums, bass and miscellaneous samples.

I haven't made it work on vocals yet although i want to spend some time really focussing on the mids and vocals with it.

I find the high end a little disappointing.

Do you like any software EQ for vocals particularly?

Thanks!
Old 23rd September 2004
Re: Re: Love it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Renie

I haven't made it work on vocals yet although i want to spend some time really focussing on the mids and vocals with it.

Thanks!
Hi Rene,

I always mentioned that in order to make it work really well on a lead vocal, its important what comp you use to follow it.

Certain comps highlight the mids in different ways.

Also for the air freqs i do tend to use something else(mainly the GML8200).
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search