The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mults and Phase issues
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
watch out - there can be plenty of printed latency with audiosuite plug-ins
There shouldn't be - unless it's a delay plugin (DOH!).

Seriously though, I've checked on occasion, and so far haven't found latency on printed effects (or tracks bounced to disk for that matter).

AFAIK...

Plugin latency is a result of the realtime processing.

Whereas, when you print an effect, the plugin is applying a numerical alteration to the audio region. There's no reason why that should move the region, and if it does, there's a glitch in the plugin code.

Anyone care to confirm or deny this?
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

Hello Curve,

I had a question for you on the meanwhile deleted Mike Shipley thread which you probably missed.

It is about the collection you made from the advice of Mike and others. Would you be willing to share those notes?
I´m planning to write down and organize tips from an interesting book where several MEs share their knowledge in. So, I could contribute a bit material too in a while.

What do you think?

Ruphus
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant

I thought it happened on anything except Invert or Gain in PT -- I've definitely had it happen on UltraPitch.
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
posted by Ruphus:
Hello Curve,

I had a question for you on the meanwhile deleted Mike Shipley thread which you probably missed.
Huh??

Why are Ship's threads being deleted?

Quote:
It is about the collection you made from the advice of Mike and others. Would you be willing to share those notes?
Dude,

The volume of materials I've documented from this and other forums could take up an entire book itself. They do, actually. I have filled several 3-ring binders full of stuff, and that's only what I've printed. There's a truckload of unprinted stuff still sitting in my harddrives.

You would have to be specific IRT which kinds of info you're looking for.
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

Everything from recording over mixing to mastering would be interesting to me, except of tips about designing circuits maybe.

As text files don´t take up much space you could send over a bunch and I would sort it then.

The deleted thread was the one where Mike quit moderating.

Ruphus
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
posted by Gregg Sartiano:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought it happened on anything except Invert or Gain in PT -- I've definitely had it happen on UltraPitch.
Gregg,

Disclaimer: You're one of the people around here I'm generally hesitant to contradict...but after reading your post, I opened up a PT session to check this. (I'm using PT v5.1 on a 001 system, B&W Mac G3).

OK, I looked at a pair of vocal tracks: one the original, and the other a duplicate. On the duplicate, I printed an Arboretum High Pass, then a Fairchild 660.

I opened up both tracks to Jumbo view, and found an obvious transient. The beginning of the transients lined up exactly at the zero crossing at sample level for both tracks.

Now I don't have the UltraPitch plugin (should I? is it cool?) so I can't check that. And I have to confess I haven't checked every printed effect for latency. I've only done random checks out of curiousity, and so far haven't found any latency for printed effects in my home-based system so far.

Mainly I've checked for latency when printing duplicated drums and guitars, and Bounced To Disk files, because that's where the phasing issues would become apparent. In most of those cases, it was compression (and sometimes EQ) plugins I printed, and so far haven't encountered any latency issues.

The only occasions where I've audibly heard phasing issues on my rig, is when I've improperly aligned samples, and in those cases I could definitely hear the phasing, so I'd like to think I could hear phasing issues in the case of printed plugin latency. I could be wrong though.

We're getting really geeky here, but that's our job, right?
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
The deleted thread was the one where Mike quit moderating.
Mike quit?

Why am I always the last person on Earth to find out about these things???
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mike quit?

Why am I always the last person on Earth to find out about these things???

Why did he quit?...too busy?
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

No, it was because someone had asked about the tweaks on the vocal of one of Mike´s recorded artists and others had chimed in then to critisize the singer as untalented auto-tune chick. One of the posters seemed merely aiming to offend Mr. Shipley though who then took the opportunity to quit moderating. He said he felt that moderation wasn´t the right thing for him ( or vice versa: he not suiting for moderation ).

Something like that.

Curve, what´s up? Yep or njet?

Ruphus
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
We're getting really geeky here, but that's our job, right?
I'll check it out today.

Yeah, UltraPitch is way cool -- there's a 6-note harmonizer on it! I automated the harmonizing notes around the chord changes for this one song...too much fun!

It's definitely our job to get geeky. If we don't, who will?

Curve, thanks for the compliment -- my ego just got upgraded

Bummer about that Shipley thing...I didn't know he bailed either, although that one guy was really going after him -- I was reading that thread as it was going down. In fact, I did a search for it the other day: looks like it (mercifully) disappeared. "Shania Vocal Chain" -- right? Looks like one bad apple spoiled the whole damn bunch.

It's ironic that it happened that way -- y'know, gearslutz is the only interactive net experience I bother with. The quality of people (general manners/intelligence and specific knowledge) here is so high...I was on one of those guitar boards and it was such a waste. I love having the ability to share thoughts and experiences, and the give/take of tips and techniques allows us to explore and stay on top of our game! I consider it a privilege to call the gearslutz family my peer group.
Old 26th September 2004

re: curve dominant...ever used autotune???...duplicate????etc etc etc...

just trying to help mate...

just trying to pass on years of protools experience....

enjoy your sample errors!!!

whatever

peace
Loading mentioned products ...
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search