The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bel Biv Devoe
Old 13th August 2004
Lives for gear

Bel Biv Devoe

Dave, didn't you work one the BBD stuff? I think that's the first place I ever saw your name....

I am curious if you have any details on that stuff... Did you work on the song "Poison"? I always thought that was a very interesting song, both from a writing standpoint and the engineering side. It is rare to hear a psychedelic/rap/r&b song!

Welcome, from one Tampa guy to another!
Old 13th August 2004
Gear Head

Ahh.."Poison"!
Long time ago...lots of booze, home-boys, fly-girls and the good 'ol New Jack Swing!
One of the baddest breaks I've ever heard was in that song!
Old 13th August 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

BBD...smoothed out on an R&B tip....

Yeah, I am proud of the remixes to "Do Me Baby", "Thought It Was Me", and "When Will I See You Smile" (all 12 minutes of it!) BBD was great because we could break all the rules, and it worked. The radio and video versions of the above songs were my mixes. I still love the mix on "Thought It Was Me".
Old 13th August 2004
Lives for gear

Re: BBD...smoothed out on an R&B tip....

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Pensado
Yeah, I am proud of the remixes to "Do Me Baby", "Thought It Was Me", and "When Will I See You Smile" (all 12 minutes of it!) BBD was great because we could break all the rules, and it worked. The radio and video versions of the above songs were my mixes. I still love the mix on "Thought It Was Me".
Oh, those were great. What recording medium/board was that stuff done on?
Old 13th August 2004
Lives for gear

I've been listening to BBD's Poison track a lot as of late. Usually I pump it up when I'm housed and feel like thinking back to when I was 8 years old. Funny thing is I walked down an alleyway a few days a go and I actually heard a bum singing the song - pretty coincidental. I hadn't heard anyone even mention that song for about 10 years until now.

situation is seriousssss
heh
Old 13th August 2004
Lives for gear

Re: BBD...smoothed out on an R&B tip....

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Pensado
It bums me out when I hear a song on the radio (like one of your mixes), and I go out and buy the CD and the album mix is TOTALLY different and usually lame in comparison. Those radio (read: "better") mixes are tough to get a hold of.

Oh, and thank's, Dave, for the plugin tips from that article. It pointed me to several plugins I'd never even looked at, but now are very useful to me.
Old 16th September 2008
Gear Head

I rediscovered BBD maybe 5 years back. Back in '90 my big brother jammed the life out of that cassette in his bright green overalls and fade/spikey hairdo. I really admire that bass tone in the chorus (? "It's drivin me outa my mind!"). The way it comes in is really exciting for me. Also the pads in there are great.

Any idea what device made that bass sound?

Thanks,

Jon
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search