The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
any familiar songs via ITB?
Old 12th August 2004
Lives for gear

any familiar songs via ITB?

Hello Mr. Pensado,

I saw your moderator bio...wow...looks like a who's who in pop music!

People are chiming in about how you work ITB in different capacities.

Would you be at liberty to tell us about any tracks or artists that have had a popular radio release that was done ITB?

ITB to me means all mixing is done inside the computer, with at most something like a couple analog outboards on the stereo buss. Protools 32 tracks out to a 9000 series SSL is something other than ITB in my humble vision of things.

I'd just be curious to get an idea of some ITB stuff that charted.

Thanks for any insights, and it's great to have you here!
Old 12th August 2004
jho
Lives for gear

Inquiring minds wanna know...
Old 12th August 2004
ITB = "in the box" ie no mixing console - all in the computer

Dave might never work that way.... I dunno

Only he can answer!

Old 13th August 2004
Lives for gear

well, if there was a "control surface" that's fine. technically i think the new Icon is a control surface because it doesn't pass or calculate any audio.

ITB means all audio mixing and sound processing calculations are performed inside the DAW, with perhaps sending the 2-mix out to a stereo comp/eq at the most.
Old 13th August 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

ITB

Kelly Clarkson "Miss Independent", Mel C "Never Be The Same Again", Ice Cube stuff on Players Club, Eternal "Angel of Mine"...there are a bunch more but I forgot. Those mixes didn't have one single piece of outboard gear! I usually mix 65% ITB, and 35% on the SSL. Whew, some of my first all ProTools mixes were truly awful. This was in '96. BeBe Winans, some Swedish chick named something Brown. But I got better, and Digi was gracious enuff to incorporate a bunch of my ideas.
Old 13th August 2004
Gear Nut

Dave, it seems to me that what you mean by "ITB" is using plug-ins and summing the mix on the SSL. Not summing In-the-Box.
Old 17th August 2004
Gear Head

Re: ITB

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Pensado
some Swedish chick named something Brown.
Jennifer Brown, am I right?

How did you like her voice? I adore it, I think she has a lot of feeling in it.

Cheers
Old 21st August 2004
Gear maniac

any takers on this???
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

ITB mixes for 2007 and 2008

Would like to get an update on some of your recent mixes in the last few years that were done entirely in protools(no SSL for summing). It would be great to get some details: was it mixed entirely ITB with no additional outboard gear, or did you use analog outboard gear on inserts on individual tracks, or on the mix buss, or parallel compression buss, etc...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search