The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"must-have" records released after 1990?
Old 6th August 2002
High End Moderator

"must-have" records released after 1990?

Which are some of the absolute must have records released after 1990?
Old 6th August 2002
Shawn Colvin - Mixed by Bob Clearmountain

-Astounding accoustic accuracy - and full range of sound...

Lou Reed - Extacy

-recorded at Seer Sound - a shrine to analog recording - AMAZING phatness

Mechanical Animals - Marilyn Manson

-A mix masterwork - 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear, FOURTH GEAR!!!! HANG ON!!!!!-----click --- AFTERBURNERS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Macy Gray's first album

-Exile on Main st gone funky - a production triumph, 70's in the year 2,000
Old 6th August 2002
Gear addict

Jeff Buckley's "Grace". I can't think of a way to make it better.

Bear
Old 6th August 2002
Moderator emeritus

This is a toughie - I've been thinking about it this morning (while recording fiddle and mandolin on a contemporary country project) and can't really think of much that's a "Must have" from a recording standpoint. I probably don't get out enough...

But Jimmy Smith's 'dot com blues' grooves like music used to, Mother's Finest's 'Black Radio Won't Play This Record' sounds like Living Color with attitude, and I guess the Oh Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack. It's not that these are necessarily great recordings (There are lots of bluegrass records I like better from a technical viewpoint), or even great performances (again, I've heard other performances by most of the same artists that move me much more), but because this record at least brought the idea of this kind of music back into the public eye. Ralph Sanley sand the **** out of Oh Death on the soundtrack, and if that moves you to buy some other Ralph records, then all the better.
Old 6th August 2002
Gear maniac

From top of my head:

Frank Sinatra - Duets 1 & 2 (old Frankie is perhaps not on top, but his band rocks! and the recording is spectacular)

Buena Vista Social Club

Ruben Gonzales - Introducing Ruben Gonzales (even better than BVSC)

Arrested Development - 5 months... (a feast for body and soul)

Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating in Space (Just as spectacular as Dark side of the moon was then)

Lambchop - Nixon

Little Village - Little Village
(if there ever was a supergroup in the 90's - this is it:
John Hiatt - Guitar & Vocals, Nick Lowe - Bass Guitar & Vocals, Ry Cooder - Slide Guitar & Vocals, Jim Keltner - Drums & Percussion. Brilliantly captured by Allen Sides)

Miles Davis - Doo-Bop (Miles at his funkiest! Last album he made)

/Mats
Old 6th August 2002
Gear Addict

hmm...
Like the other thread - I would rather think about this for a few weeks and get back to you all - BUT
at the risk of thinking off the top of my head....(and being a little repetitive)

Radiohead : OK Computer (and Kid A, and Amnesiac? and The Bends?)
Massive Attack : Protection and probably Mezzanine too
The Flaming Lips : The Soft Bulletin
DJ Shadow : Endtroducing (and probably The Private Press too)
Air : 10,000 Hz Legend
Aphex Twin : Selected Ambient Works Vol. II
Coldplay : Parachutes

at second glance I think these are nominations rather than final choices,
but they are definitely must hear!
Old 6th August 2002
Lives for gear

Oh Brother is indeed a CD to make anyone who hears it a whole lot more appreciative of the genre...

Fo ra different twist...Redd Volkaert's Telewhacking...(I thought I posted this once before...guess not)...anyway, what Ralph does on banjo Redd does on a Telecaster...
Old 6th August 2002
Gear maniac

Paul, how could I ever forget Massive Attack? (I feel stupid now)

/Mats
Old 7th August 2002
Gear Head

Sarah MacLachlan- Fumbling Towards Ecstasy.
Beth Orton- Central Reservation
Radiohead- OK Computer
Beck- Odelay
Emmylou Harris- Wrecking Ball
Tori Amos- Choirgirl Hotel
The Jayhawks- Tomorrow the Green Grass
Roots- any
Busta Rhymes- ELE
Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger
Pearl Jam- Ten
Various- Temple of the Dog

An odd list, but some great music and recordings.
Old 7th August 2002
Gear Addict

Alice in Chains - Dirt
Bjork - Vespertine
Einsturzende Neubauten - Tabula Rasa
Irresistible Force - Its Tomorrow Already
Material - Hallucination Engine
The Orb - U.F. Orb
Orbital - II (the Brown Album)
Portishead - Portishead (the 2nd album)
Tricky - Maxinquaye
Naked City - Naked City
Naked City - The Grand Guignol
Madada - pick one
Michael Brook and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Night Song
Old 12th August 2002
Gear Guru

Nirvana- Nevermind
Flaming Lips-Soft Bulletin
Ben Folds Five-1st record
Rihard Thompson-Rumor and Sigh
Weezer-Pinkerton
XTC-Nonsuch

And many others I can't think of.
Old 12th August 2002
There is only one

okay, i have seen soft bulletin twice now... but 'clouds taste metallic' IMO blows that album away.

i second Material - Hallucination Engine

all the Clutch albums although the self titled on is the best stuff. jam room is my favorite.

mercury rev's 'see you on the other side'

becks-mutations

aphex twin-richard d james album

beastie boys-pauls boutique [was that 1990 on? it borders if it isnt, but their best album] also check yo head and ill communication

man, i would totally have to go through my cd collection to think of more.

butthole surfers independant worm saloon.

fugazi-end hits

jucifer- calling all cars

kyuss-blues for the red sun

any ween album

nirvana- nevermind

smashing pumpkins-gish [and pisces iscariot]

janes addiction-nothings shocking and ritual de lo habitual [although ritual's sound sucks ass, the songs are badass]

gam-phase 8 [probably one of the best independant releases of the 90's... labels were stupid as **** for not picking them up]

squishy-self titled [another great independant release... again, stupid ****ing labels... kills what the majors were putting out]

i have so many more, i will have to get back with a full list.

tastes my vary.
Old 13th August 2002
Lives for gear

"Everybody knows music acheived its pinnacle in 1976 its a proven fact...." homer simpson

grggt grggt grggt grggt
Old 14th August 2002
Gear addict

a few:

Notorious BIG "Life After Death". i'm no Puffy fan, but he did a great job producing this one.

Gastr del Sol - anything, but "Mirror Repair" is a fave. very full sounds, great sonic maipulation.

Vic Chestnutt & Lambchop - "The Salesman & Bernadette" extremely well recorded & mixed, with a low-fi homemade feel. great use of non-rock instruments.

Evan Parker - "Conic Sections". Naturalistic recording of very out-there solo soprano sax playing. Incredible capture of amazing overtones. Recorded in great rooms for totally natural reverb.

John Adams - "Nixon in China". The same could be said for any good operatic or orchestral recording, but it just amazes me how they can get that much sound and detail onto a cd.
Old 17th August 2002
Lives for gear

I cannot let one of these threads go by without mentioning Lyle Lovett's "Joshua Judges Ruth". Amazing sounding record, and great songs.

another vote for Emmylou's Wrecking Ball as well.

And while I am here:

Achtung baby - U2

Ten Summoners Tales - Sting

Tuesday Night Music Club - Sheryl Crow ( and the Globe Sessions as well)

O Brother Where art thou? - Just so T-Bone can get even more from his point deal on that record

Apparently I havent listend to music since 1995 I know there are way more, and I am keen to check out some others on this thread
Old 17th August 2002
Lives for gear

I put this on the R&B thread, but it applies here as well.

MeShell Ndegéocello's "Peace Beyond Passion"

add

David Sylvian - "Dead Bees On A Cake"
Old 17th August 2002
Lives for gear

Andrew WK - I Get Wet... Don't sleep, this record is VERY dope... Buy it, just don't let your friend's catch you headbanging to it. Vocals remind me of Napalm Death (VERY ministry sounding), guitars are big ass hell. Perfect example of the correct way to mix a record. Incredible mid range... Mike Shipley kilt it with this one.

Blackstreet - Another Level... Most R&B records have a 2 year or so shelf life these days. This one is one of the exceptions. I'm not sure who mixed it (as I've heard 4 different engineers claim to), but I believe it's Jean Marie Horvat (who did work on MJ's Dangerous record as well)

Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory... Bob Powers at his finest. He has the power of sounding 'true to the skrets' while still sounding inventive

Ozomatli - Embrace the Chaos... Bob Powers in effect again. Once again, he bridges musical gaps from Hip Hop to Alternative Rock En Espanola

Bruce Springsteen - The Rising... I know it's a powerful statement, especially since this just came out, but this is the best Bruce Springsteen record ever. The mixes are great with a laid back feel.

Atari Teenage Riot - 60 Second Wipe Out... As I've said before, Andy Wallace's most underrated work ever. Complete digital anarchy. If less is more, then more must be even better.

System of a Down - Toxicity... Andy Wallace, as usual, at his finest. The mid range on this record is very defined, but the low and top end is much more dynamic that many rock records, even by today's standards.

The Roots - The Roots Come Alive... One of the dopest live records ever. Did I mention Bob Powers is my favorite hip hop engineer?

Jessica - You Can't Resist... This is an unheard of record to most people (and I've seen it in several 99 cent binds). Dave "Hard Drive" Pensado mixed his ass of on this record. You can play this at low levels, and it still bangs.

Aphex Twin - Richard D James... This record makes me wanna break stuff.

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing... Hearing Metallica (when they were good) bass lines sampled and break beat drums thrown on top does my heart good. There's a couple songs that lose my interest, but it's a landmark record all the same. I don't think Shadow will ever top this.

Portishead - Dummy.... In my eyes, they took Tricky's vison and perfected it. My heart raced when I heard this for the first time.

O' Brother Where Art Thou... There's like 3 different versions of this. I prefer the live version. A couple good mics go a long way.

Bjork - Homogenic... Lo Fi'ed drums, Sweet vocals, this record influenced my mixing a lot.

Family Dollar Pharaohs - Haunted... My all-time favorite record.
Old 17th August 2002
There is only one

that roots live album is the shiznit. DjShadows first one is badass too.... i got the new one, doesnt do it for me like the first one.

yo E, is that aphex twin RDJ album not the most insanely beautiful sound you have ever heard... borderline psychotic yet utterly serene all at once. i dont know if it makes me want to break **** or love ****.

oh, miles davis panthalassa [laswell remix]... DnB long before its time.
Old 17th August 2002
Lives for gear

I love playin Richard D James for people and watchin them freak out. Ditto on the new Shadow. Private Press sound like it was done by a completely different person than Entro.

Lemme add any record by the Moog Cookbook. If you've heard it, you know why.
Old 21st August 2002
Gear maniac

agree with alot of the records posted

anyone care to mention one of the Dave Matthews Band's efforts - 1996's Crash particularly comes to mind

Steve Lillywhite production with CLA mixes - the blend of eventide based production and mixes on some of these tracks is killer, that and the band being tight seals the deal for the people making the album..

I work with band's in this genre, and this is one of the common reference discs for my clients, and I understand why....

to my ear this album is alot of Eventide patches, anyone care to agree or disagree, or have any knowledge on it?
Old 22nd August 2002
One with big hooves

I’ve been thinking about this for a few days. I tried to pick stuff that had a lot of great songs and great sounds. These discs see pretty steady rotation in my various CD players. So in no particular order…

1. Black Crowes – Amorica. Roots rock don’t get much better then this. I wish my **** sounded half this good.
2. Hum – You’d Prefer an Astronaut. Incredible sounds, great heavy rock. Remember the song “She missed the train to Mars, she’s out back counting stars”, that’s these guys.
3. Tom Petty – Wildflowers. A master at work.
4. Brand New Heavies – Brother Sister. Get down wit ‘yo bad self.
5. Phish – Billy Breathes. I love the sounds on this album. Very natural to my ear.
6. Starsailor – Love is here. One of the better sounding new albums. It actually has dynamics. If you like Jeff Buckly check this out.
7. Radiohead – Kid A. Pushing the envelope of modern music. Love it or hate it, it took some balls to put this out when most new releases sound as processed as baloney.
8. Weezer – The blue album. Do I really need to explain this?
9. Fiona Apple – When the Pawn… Just amazing really. What’s she doing now?
10. Charlie Hunter – Natty Dread. Just listen to it. A really different interpretation of a classic album by a guy who is just too sick. A must have for any jazz/fusion/funk head or Bob Marley fan.
Old 24th August 2002
Do my eye's lie?

Where's Tigerlily? N. Merchant
The finest drums since drums were invented.
And the gtr? so tasty.
I love a gtr player who knows where to put it.
None of that "Hey everyone! Check me out! I can fuq this song all up with one insterment!"

Ahhhhh Bearsville..........
I have dreams of working in that room.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search