The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting the sound of a record
Old 27th September 2015
Getting the sound of a record

Dave

I'm a huge fan of many of the records you've worked on. Thank you so much for all the great music!

When you're tracking a record, do you use the equipment(compression, eq, etc) to get the bed tracks sounding more or less like the 'record', from the very start? I'm speaking in terms of 'committing' per say, to significant compression/limiting and eq during the tracking stage. Or do you leave more of that stuff for mixing..

Thanks a lot and cheers!
Darrick

View most liked answer
Old 28th September 2015
VIP Guest

When recording drums I commit from the start any compression or EQ I am using. That being said, I try to cut drums as flat as I can however I do EQ the kick and snare . I hi pass the overheads
at around 80hz to keep out any unwanted low end.(by the way , there is a lot of good low frequencies in the cymbals) . what I do in the recording is take the drum sound "half way there" to the
mix sound. I am not afraid of committing sounds generally . When recording I have the finished "sound" in mind . My whole production technique is focused on the final mix. I have that luxury
since I always end up mixing what I record.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search