The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Been Caught Stealing, Guitars
Old 19th September 2015
Gear Head

Been Caught Stealing, Guitars

Hi Dave,

I read online that the guitar on "Been Caught Stealing", was Dave Navarro playing an unplugged electric guitar in the vocal booth. To that I say: You could've fooled me, I thought it was simply a DI'd guitar.

My question is what mic did you use on it, and how much compression and EQ, if any did you apply to it during the mixing stage and were any other effects used?

View most liked answer
Old 21st September 2015
VIP Guest

The reason I used unplugged electric guitars was to establish a syncopated groove and tempo. I tried an acoustic guitar but even that was "too big" a sound . All this was done for Steve Perkins
to have something more than a click track to record to. I had Dave do three of these tracks of guitars then I bounced them together. I used a 451 mic ( my favorite for acoustic guitars because
it is the most "flat " mic I have. I compressed all three together thru a 1176 ( I like the 1176 because of its attack time-I set the attack very slow so as to be percussive) These guitars were not
ment to in the final mix however they did end up being used for more swing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search