The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Social Distortion sound
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

Social Distortion sound

Hi,
I love the Social Distortion, Social Distortion sound on that album. Perfectly mixed. One of the best rock albums ever. The guitars are so strong (I believe because like you had said in a previous post how you tend to boost in low mid area). Could you talk a little about how you did that on this album and how you were able to still have the vocals come through so well without the low mid strong guitar taking up the space?
Also any reverb delays etc used?
Thank you very much for taking the time to do this,
Old 20th September 2015
VIP Guest

These mixes were very easy to do. I kept the arrangements "open" . Actually my idea in mixing was to make the sound more like early Hank Williams with big guitars ! Mike Ness has such a
strong voice.He was easy to place in the mix . There was slight reverb (Lexicon 480 digital reverb with my own program) on the drums . I had a slight harmonizer effect on Mikes' vocals.
I keep the guitars dry. Believe it or not Mike and I argued about the guitar sound until the end.Then he loved it! I wanted the guitars more heavy sounding to add impact . Mike wanted just
a standard Fender "Twang". I was afraid it would sound like a straight country album unless we stuck our necks out (concerning the guitar sound) By the time we got to the second album i did
with them there was no argument about the guitar sound.Oh yea, there was some reverb on Mikes vocals.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search