The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dirt Guitar Sound
Old 12th September 2015
Gear Head

Dirt Guitar Sound

Hi Dave,

I've read the guitar sound on Dirt was created by blending 3 amps together, one of which was a Scholz Rockman. I have tried to achieve similar results using the combination of 5150 (low), Bogner Ecstasy (mid), Scholz Rockman (high), but couldn't quite figure out how to adequately capture or combine the sounds. Would you be willing to describe how to capture and combine the sounds, particularly the Rockman high frequency part of the sound? Also, it sounds like there is also quite a bit of phase cancellation technique, and perhaps MS technique employed - can you shed some light on your use of these techniques as well? Finally, how much of the guitar sound would you attribute to the use of the Aphex aural exciter?

Thank you!
Old 16th September 2015
VIP Guest

I used the Ecstasy for the "mid" amp and the Rockman for the top however for the bottom ( And here is where the big sound came from) I used a Bogner Fish Pre Amp ( Modified by Bogner)
with a VHT Amp and a Marshall cab with Vox Bulldog speakers for the Bottom. I use Sm57s to mic. To split the amps I used a Lucas Deceiver . I did not mix the amps but left them separate
to the end ( before mixing ) and Jerry "doubled" himself so there was 6 tracks of amps before mixing. The "trick" in mixing is to make crossover points with Hi pass Lo Pass filters. To this end
I mixed on an SSL console that has these filters on every module. For the low amp I set the low pass at only 300hz. The mid amp was 300hz to 4k and the high amp 4k to 8k cuttoff .I cut everything "Flat " however I did EQ the amps in the mix using a mild EQ curve from AMP to Amp.Phase is the big problem in using muti amps.
Old 25th September 2015
Wow! Interesting technique! Thanks for sharing!
Old 26th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJerden View Post
I used the Ecstasy for the "mid" amp and the Rockman for the top however for the bottom ( And here is where the big sound came from) I used a Bogner Fish Pre Amp ( Modified by Bogner)
with a VHT Amp and a Marshall cab with Vox Bulldog speakers for the Bottom. I use Sm57s to mic. To split the amps I used a Lucas Deceiver . I did not mix the amps but left them separate
to the end ( before mixing ) and Jerry "doubled" himself so there was 6 tracks of amps before mixing. The "trick" in mixing is to make crossover points with Hi pass Lo Pass filters. To this end
I mixed on an SSL console that has these filters on every module. For the low amp I set the low pass at only 300hz. The mid amp was 300hz to 4k and the high amp 4k to 8k cuttoff .I cut everything "Flat " however I did EQ the amps in the mix using a mild EQ curve from AMP to Amp.Phase is the big problem in using muti amps.
just wondering.. how do you pan those lo/mid/hi amps?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search