The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your point of view about mastering
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Addict

Your point of view about mastering

Hello Dave,
Thanks for your time in answering all our questions...it's a real great pleasure to have you here!

what are the most important qualities you look for when you choose a mastering engineer? And (even in case you're not involved in ME selection), are you used to relate with him/her before and/or during mastering or do you prefer to let he/she does what thinks better?

Thank you much in advance!
Old 24th September 2015
VIP Guest

For me picking the right Mastering person is very, very important. I try to pick someone who is familiar with the genre the record is in. A lot of mastering persons today do a lot of Hip-hop
or dance type music and I want someone who knows rock. The last album I just finished , The Shrine, required a "rock" mastering engineer. So, I hired Maor Applebaum for mastering because
I had heard great things about him (concerning doing rock albums) and I was so happy with my choice! Maor nailed the sound I was after. A mastering engineer (for me) can really be key
in defining what the impact of a record will be. Maor asked me a lot of questions also before he did anything. He is also very intuitive . All his comments about the record were spot on.
I used to go to mastering however now I just listen to the results because mastering people know their room and if I make comments in their environment (they know so well ) I could be
way off base.
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Addict

Thank you much for your answer.

I hope not bothering about this, but the following is a so popular discussion when mastering is touched...as producer are you concerned in some way about loudness?
Thanks in advance!
Old 25th September 2015
VIP Guest

I don't get into the loudness "Wars". I try to deliver big open mixes that have consistent levels song to song. If I do my bit right, the mastering engineer can concentrate on getting hot levels
and proper overall EQ without spending time trying to "fix' my mixes.
Old 25th September 2015
Lives for gear

How hot are you delivering your mixes? On your 2 BUSS, are you hitting your comps lightly, or do you get it pretty rockin' before Mastering?
Thanks!
JJ
Old 25th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJerden View Post
I don't get into the loudness "Wars". I try to deliver big open mixes that have consistent levels song to song. If I do my bit right, the mastering engineer can concentrate on getting hot levels
and proper overall EQ without spending time trying to "fix' my mixes.
Hi Dave.
Do you use a spectrum analyzer on your 2 bus when mixing?
Regarding going for overall EQ or a relatively flat mix, if for example the guitars or vocals are hot at say 3k or even 300 and causing a bump in the mix, but its sounding right to you, would you be concerned that the ME might drop it and mess your balances up?
Old 25th September 2015
VIP Guest

I occasionally use a spectrum analyzer when mixing in my rooms I know however I always check an analyzer when mixing in a new room. That being said , I have been mixing for so many years
that i know if i am "outside" my normal curve as far as EQ goes. I tend to put a lot of low end in my mixes (300hz on guitars )and I always discuss my desired goals with the mastering engineer.
For instance, The Shrine album I just finished had a ton of low mids on the main guitars. I told Maor Applebaum (mastering engineer) I wanted to maintain that frequency quality . Some
mastering people may scoop out the low mids and over boost the high end. I did NOT want that. I wanted (and they DO) the guitars to "BARK"!
Old 26th September 2015
Gear Addict

Thanks!
This is a great advice for both mastering and mixing engineers.
Old 26th September 2015
RFJ
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by druhms View Post
How hot are you delivering your mixes? On your 2 BUSS, are you hitting your comps lightly, or do you get it pretty rockin' before Mastering?
Thanks!
JJ
Great question...

Maybe he didn't see it.

I'd like to know the same thing if possible.

Thanks!
Old 27th September 2015
VIP Guest

It is a big mistake to think a weak mix or recording can some how be "fixed" in mastering. In fact, mastering can only high light the flaws. One suggestion I have is to form a relationship with a
mastering engineer and while mixing a project send some early mixes to be checked out. This not only gives a mixer a "progress report" but also lets the mastering person familiar with what is
to be mastered later so everyone involved ( including the record company ) is always on the same page. i always keep everyone in the loop when doing an album instead of just turning in the
record cold .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search