The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fatso & api 2500
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

Fatso & api 2500

I recently purchased the api 2500. I've been using it mainly for drum-sub mixes. I was thinking of moving it to stereo-buss duties and using a Fatso on the drum-subs. Or would it be better the other way around? Can the Fatso get some nice drum compression happening?

Thanks,
Ray
Old 27th May 2003
member no 666

FWIW... I've had some very pleasant experiences using the API 2500 across a 2 buss and a FATSO Jr. across a drum buss as a parallel compression device... by parallel compression I mean building a mix that goes into the FATSO Jr. and adding the output of the FATSO Jr. to the 'drum mix'.

The ****in' things get very explosive if you build it properly.

Best of luck.
Old 31st May 2003
The Distressor's "daddy"

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
The ****in' things get very explosive if you build it properly.
Thanks Fletchorama! Ive told countlless peeps the story of you forcing us to show at the 96 AES in NYC... even before we were officially ready.

If I may add my two cents here... The API2500 and the Fatso are both very different units. The API is an extremely versatile compressor, so a lot of it has to do with how you set that compressor up... IE Attack/decay times, hard knee, soft knee, old style, new style, the Thrust circuit etc etc. It is a much more variable compressor than the four fixed compressors in the Fatso. It could probably be made to sound like the Fatso compressors except for the Buss compressor.

The API is a brilliant analog compressor providing so many options and even allowing the user to change the basic topology with a button press! I dont know of any other compressor out there that has this topology changing feature. API has always been innovators and produced great coloring tools for the recording artist, and the API 2500 is another classic in a long lineage of great gear. Besides intimately knowing Audio and Sound, Paul Wolf from API is a blast to party with. heh

The Fatso does have that one compressor that can attack twice as slow as the API - the "BUSS" comprressor, mentioned above. That compressor was inspired by the SSL buss compressor. The Fatso also has the "Warmth" and "Tranny" options for modifying the high frequency transients and low frequency harmonics, respectively. It's primary function isnt always compression. I have heard Mick Gazauski use the Fatso on the drum submix and overheads on digital recordings with great success. Overall tho, the API 2500 is much much more controllable as a compressor device. Everyone should own both, really!
Old 1st June 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply. I've gotta try the Fatso!

-Ray
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search