The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EL8 Dist3 vs. Fatso warmth?
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

EL8 Dist3 vs. Fatso warmth?

I have a few years of experience with my Distressors but only a few hours clocked in on the Fatso, not nearly enough to fairly compare the warmth/distortion aspects of both units. I use Dist 3 quite frequently on dirty guitars and bass, usually with 1:1 ratio and just 1% thd, but sometimes wonder if i'm going overboard with it... is the Fatso's warmth similar to the tape saturation Dist 3 of the Distressor, circuit-wise? Or is it a completely different beast offering a different flavor of saturation?

Thanks!
Old 21st May 2003
The Distressor's "daddy"

On the Fatso, there is an actual "WARMTH" control which doesnt exist on the Distressor. It is a high frequency dynamic filtering effect. It softens high frequency "pile ups".

The Fatso also has a Tranny effect which is a low frequency processor. There is nothing on the Distressor like this.

The soft clipping is very similar between the two units. The compressors are a similar topology but the Fatso compressors are fixed in their ratio, attack, decay etc.... for now. It also has a ratio called the BUSS Compressor and it has an attack much slower than the Distressor is capable of.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Derr
On the Fatso, there is an actual "WARMTH" control which doesnt exist on the Distressor. It is a high frequency dynamic filtering effect. It softens high frequency "pile ups".

Hope this answers your question.
So Fatso warmth really has nothing to do with EL8 Dist 3... That was basically my question

The Fatso buss compression mode and tranny functions seemed very cool when I was playing with it, but i'll have to spend more time with it ASAP.

Thanks Dave!
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search