The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Software Controlable Distressor?
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

Software Controlable Distressor?

Any chance there might be an Emperical Labs product that was controlable via a DAW plugin? It would be very cool to have total recall and automation of settings. Just curious?
Old 17th May 2003
Motown legend

I have no doubt that digitally controlled analog gear is the future because we are rapidly approaching the point where introducing an analog conversion will be every bit as transparent as dropping a high quality analog stage into an analog signal path. Control and repeatability will be the whole thing. Digital vs analog will be entirely a question of how it sounds.
Old 18th May 2003
There is only one

i was actually dreaming of a board the basically consisted of an analog path, with just input>insert>auxes>insert>fader that was digitally controlled and instantly recallable. its the one major downside to analog boards. also fully automatable auxes and pans and fader and returns.
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

if it wasn't for digital, we'd prolly have this by now!
Old 18th May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
I have no doubt that digitally controlled analog gear is the future because we are rapidly approaching the point where introducing an analog conversion will be every bit as transparent as dropping a high quality analog stage into an analog signal path. Control and repeatability will be the whole thing. Digital vs analog will be entirely a question of how it sounds.
Hey Bob,

Some of the gear already exists.

I have been using the Summit/Neve MPE-200 preamp/EQ for a while now.

Its a great EQ in which all of the parameters can be midi controlled as a plug in in Pro Tools.

It works perfectly, especially when doing recalls.

Total lifesaver.

You can actually buy a whole bunch of them and make a small console.
Old 18th May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
i was actually dreaming of a board the basically consisted of an analog path, with just input>insert>auxes>insert>fader that was digitally controlled and instantly recallable. its the one major downside to analog boards. also fully automatable auxes and pans and fader and returns.
Were you dreaming of the Euphonix maybe?
Old 18th May 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Were you dreaming of the Euphonix maybe?
sort of. but without the added EQ and Dynamics. more Aux&knobs per channel and no upper fader. something that would rely more on outboard EQ/DYN gear, although that is where the problem sets in without that being digitally controlled as well, then recall is still a bitch.

have you used the cs3k? how does it sound?
Old 18th May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk

have you used the cs3k? how does it sound?
Yes.

If you are used to using DAW's then its pretty easy. I actually liked mixing on them. But I am used to mixing on both, I could see where if you are used to the traditional way of mixing, it could be a problem.

To me the CS3K's sound like SSL's.

The EQ's and dynamics aren't as musical(more on the sterile digital sound) but if you are used to the DAW plug ins than it may not bother you.

There is actually another console out there which i've found is similar(not as pretty or as expensive) but similar(Digitally controlled analog) the Tactile M4000. I am thinking about picking it up for my production studio. No dynamics, but everything else is resetable.

This helps alot when you are mixing/producing more than one song at a time.
Old 18th May 2003
The Distressor's "daddy"

Quote:
Hey Bob,

Some of the gear already exists.

I have been using the Summit/Neve MPE-200 preamp/EQ for a while now.
That Summit/NEVE product looks like such a great idea and the switches with the built in display were something I was looking at using, when that piece came out.! I love the idea of it. It would be a tad expensive to make a console out of em tho!

Do you find it as fun to use as it looks, and as good sounding as you would expect?? I played with it at an AES show but that doesnt count.? Its a very different product for Rupert.
Old 18th May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Derr
That Summit/NEVE product looks like such a great idea and the switches with the built in display were something I was looking at using, when that piece came out.! I love the idea of it. It would be a tad expensive to make a console out of em tho!

Do you find it as fun to use as it looks, and as good sounding as you would expect?? I played with it at an AES show but that doesnt count.? Its a very different product for Rupert.
Hi Dave,

Yes its fun to use.

With the plug in you have better control though(not just the fixed settings).

As an EQ I love it. Its not the traditional Neve sound, but hey there are plenty of 10**'s around for that.

Its cleaner and a little leaner, but its definitely useful.

The mic pre is not as magical as his other stuff.

For a long time I used the GML 8200 to finish the lead vocals off when mixing(after all of the processing). But since I got the MPE-200, its taken over that job. And when mixing in PT its a god send. If i have to make a quick change on a vocal(maybe weeks later) I can just recall the settings with the PT session and snap!! Its up.

Its actually excellent on a lot of instruments.

I think the software controlled Distressor is something that I would definitely add to my arsenal.
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

I've always wanted to try the Summit/Neve joint out with the unit in the vocal booth (so the Mic signal is amplified without amplitfying the noise floor you get from tie lines). It seems kind of anal, but I've had great results with the pre in the booth in the past, you just don't have the control. You try this yet thrill?
Old 18th May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
I've always wanted to try the Summit/Neve joint out with the unit in the vocal booth (so the Mic signal is amplified without amplitfying the noise floor you get from tie lines). It seems kind of anal, but I've had great results with the pre in the booth in the past, you just don't have the control. You try this yet thrill?
Hey E-Cue,

Actually never have.

I only use the unit for the EQ section when mixing.

I did do that in the past though with the DW Fearn mic pre.

I'm thinking that the new Neve remote controlled pre's would be better for this.
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm thinking that the new Neve remote controlled pre's would be better for this.
I've been trying to talk many a studio into getting of rack of them.
Old 19th May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
I've been trying to talk many a studio into getting of rack of them.
I hear that.

The thing that makes most people hesitate is the price.

The AMS/Neve stuff is so damn expensive.

Also the fact that they have no EQ's in them(except for the filters)doesn't help either.

You know everytime I go to the Neve VX room at RightTrack I always forget what a luxury it is to have that many 1081's in a rack. Most guys that use the room are hiphop/rap so they don't take as much advantage.

But to have that many 1081's is a big time luxury.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search