The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How does a company survive...
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Guru

How does a company survive...

How does a company survive with only two products available? The Fatso has been out a short time compared to the Distressor, so there was a long time that it was the only product.

I do realize that I am one of only three engineers on the planet who doesn't have something from Empirical Labs, but still...
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

Re: How does a company survive...

Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound

I do realize that I am one of only three engineers on the planet who doesn't have something from Empirical Labs, but still...

The second half of your statement proabably explains things.
Old 2nd May 2003
The Distressor's "daddy"

Tony
How does a company survive?

Really well, thank you! We have sold almost 7000 Distressors and almost 600 Fatsos. If you check out one of our other posts, our goal is to "Make a few good products, and support the hell out of them". Thats what we do.

A quick story. My dad took a boat cruise down to the Bahamas I think it was... and was sitting in a restaurant in this absolutely gorgeous marina. A friend pointed out a guy who walked in and said "Thats the guy who owns this Marina" My dad said "Wow, Nice Life" or something like that and wondered where he got the money. The friend said "You know those little valves on top of every spray can.. you know like deoderant cans, spray paint cans, silicone spray cans etc etc...?" My dad said "Yeah?". The other guy said " Well the owner of the Marina invented them".

A few good products....
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

What a great business philosophy. In this culture we're always yearing for MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE. Do this one thing and do it well.

Well said.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Derr
Tony The friend said "You know those little valves on top of every spray can.. you know like deoderant cans, spray paint cans, silicone spray cans etc etc...?" My dad said "Yeah?". The other guy said " Well the owner of the Marina invented them".

A few good products....
So that's the forefather of all the Grafart!...
Old 2nd May 2003
Riffer

Dave, boy do I agree with your philosophy there. I'm all for anybody making a pile of money from a product or two that is truly cool and useful, and that people willingly buy. It seems like once businesses get past a certain size they become predatory, preying on their competition, other unrelated companies, their employees, and ultimately their customers. And the sad part is it's not necessary.

So it's always great to see somebody running a company the old fashioned way. thumbsup

As a corollary to your story, I saw a guy on Johnny Carson a long time ago, who used to give a Christmas party every year for kids in poor inner city neighborhoods. He'd invite about 300 kids and they'd whoop it up with lots of good food, games, etc., and at the end he opened a big curtain and there was a bicycle there for every one of them! The looks on those kids' faces at the sight of those 300 shiny bicycles was something to see.

So Johnny asked this guy how he made his money. Turns out he invented the twist-tie that goes on trash bags. heh
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Derr
Tony
How does a company survive?

Really well, thank you! We have sold almost 7000 Distressors and almost 600 Fatsos. If you check out one of our other posts, our goal is to "Make a few good products, and support the hell out of them". Thats what we do.

A quick story. My dad took a boat cruise down to the Bahamas I think it was... and was sitting in a restaurant in this absolutely gorgeous marina. A friend pointed out a guy who walked in and said "Thats the guy who owns this Marina" My dad said "Wow, Nice Life" or something like that and wondered where he got the money. The friend said "You know those little valves on top of every spray can.. you know like deoderant cans, spray paint cans, silicone spray cans etc etc...?" My dad said "Yeah?". The other guy said " Well the owner of the Marina invented them".

A few good products....
I guess it's true what they say. You have to retain your focus.
Thanks,
TS
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search