The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Frequency Analyzers
Old 28th May 2004
Lives for gear

Frequency Analyzers

I recently used a frequency analyzer by Elemental Audio called Firium on a lead vocal track. It quickly displayed where the fundemental and overtone frequencies were. Also the frequency band where the air and breath were. I found it gave me useful information that made EQing the lead vocal faster.

Has anyone else used this type of tool? What other applications could something like this be used for?

Shane
Old 28th May 2004
Lives for gear

Freq analyzers are very handy, as are phase scopes...i've got this one....

...it's all about learning about sound....it helps to have visual confirmation of what you think you're hearing....or to focus your attention on something you may not have noticed...

.but it's also very important not to get too deep into them and start mixing with your eyes rather then your ears.
Old 28th May 2004
Lives for gear

the little frequency analysing I do (or have to do) is with PAZ from waves.

Sufficient for my needs. I mostly look at it to check phase.
Old 29th May 2004
Lives for gear

Thanks for your tips and thoughts you two

Shane
Old 30th May 2004
Lives for gear

I use Spectrafoo from Metric Halo. Very slick. You can set up a bank of meters with whatever you want to see. Level meters, phase, freqency a couple ways, and others.

I like to be able to see where the thing I'm not liking is faster than fishing around for it with EQ. I also like the way you get a feel for the overall EQ shape of a mix shows up. Helps me know if my ears are skewed too far off.

But, yeah, in the end, ears should make the final decision.

Oh, but clients love how it looks...
Old 30th May 2004
Lives for gear

I have a Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro

it's actually an eq, but i've never used the eq. I just have a send feeding it for visual reference whenever desired.
Old 30th May 2004
Lives for gear

I use the 'Foo, good for checking freqs and calibration.++++

The OSX-version is in beta, and that version seems to be so stable that you can purchase it. The official release becomes then a free download for beta users.

ruudman
Old 30th May 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Stick
I like to be able to see where the thing I'm not liking is faster than fishing around for it with EQ. I also like the way you get a feel for the overall EQ shape of a mix shows up. Helps me know if my ears are skewed too far off.

But, yeah, in the end, ears should make the final decision.
Good points.

Shane
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search