The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I stand naked before you...
Old 28th April 2004
Can't stop buying gear...

I stand naked before you...

...and submit a mix for your critique!

Aaron English, an artisit here in Seattle whose CD I co-produced and mixed and couple of years ago, called and asked for an instrumental mix of one of the tracks from the disc. I was happy to oblige, but also took it as an opportunity to remix the song (with vocals) just for giggles.

My computer was crying by the time I finished (...need a G5...), but I'm so much happier than I was with the mix on his CD (too many people offering "ideas" during that whole project). It's a rather interesting song - somber mood - incredibly dense arrangement and some fun instruments (violin, cello, riqq, hurdy gurdy, m'bira, taiko drum, etc). I played the kit parts with a pair of mallets from a little Remo kid's drum, thus the soft attack on the toms and cymbals.

Here's the track:
Aaron English - Mandeleine
Old 29th April 2004
jho
Lives for gear

Re: I stand naked before you...

Quote:
Originally posted by bleen
...and submit a mix for your critique!

Aaron English, an artisit here in Seattle whose CD I co-produced and mixed and couple of years ago, called and asked for an instrumental mix of one of the tracks from the disc. I was happy to oblige, but also took it as an opportunity to remix the song (with vocals) just for giggles.

My computer was crying by the time I finished (...need a G5...), but I'm so much happier than I was with the mix on his CD (too many people offering "ideas" during that whole project). It's a rather interesting song - somber mood - incredibly dense arrangement and some fun instruments (violin, cello, riqq, hurdy gurdy, m'bira, taiko drum, etc). I played the kit parts with a pair of mallets from a little Remo kid's drum, thus the soft attack on the toms and cymbals.

Here's the track:
Aaron English - Mandeleine
Hey, Aaron is on the same label as my band Man On Fire. Tell him Jho said Yo!
Old 4th May 2004
Lives for gear

Hey man...

Props on the mix! Not my bag when it comes to style, but I always recognize good musicianship (mix and otherwise) when I hear it.

Tunes.
Old 4th May 2004

Thanks, Tunes!

I was beginning to wonder if it was so frightening that no one would dare post their thoughts about it....
Old 4th May 2004
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, Tunes!

I was beginning to wonder if it was so frightening that no one would dare post their thoughts about it....
Ah dude, that's a great sounding record. Good job! Aaron is a talented guy too.

Jeff
Old 4th May 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by jho
Ah dude, that's a great sounding record. Good job! Aaron is a talented guy too.

Jeff
Thanks, Jeff - I'll talk to Aaron today and tell him you said "Hello!"
Old 4th May 2004
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, Jeff - I'll talk to Aaron today and tell him you said "Hello!"
Kewl!

Tell him that ROSfest (www.rosfest.com) was a blast and Shawn Gordon is a trip...

Jeff
Man On Fire
Old 4th May 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, Tunes!

Ok, I will take you at your word and risk a flaming!

Love the track, dark as you said. The arrangement is great, well performed and sounds like a good balance to me (I am limited unfortunately to hearing it on a fair computer speaker set up.

My only criticisms are that the bass drum sounds a little lacking in depth and I'm not keen on the vocal sound. Would have liked to hear a more gentle compression on the vocal mic, possibly a "bigger" vocal sound. At the present the vocal sounds like it is hard limited and it gives the track a slightly hard edge in the 2-3khz region. On a second listen it sounded like the mid is generally quite forward in the track so it might be different sounding on your monitors.

Has it been finally mastered for release?

After all the above being said, I still really enjoyed it!

Regards

Roland
Old 4th May 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland
Ok, I will take you at your word and risk a flaming!
Ha! No worries, Ronald!

Quote:
My only criticisms are that the bass drum sounds a little lacking in depth and I'm not keen on the vocal sound.
Yeah, the kick drum is my old Premier and wasn't the best sounding drum to begin with...

I may replace it with a sample of my Starclassic kick that sounds lovely.

Quote:
Would have liked to hear a more gentle compression on the vocal mic, possibly a "bigger" vocal sound. At the present the vocal sounds like it is hard limited and it gives the track a slightly hard edge in the 2-3khz region. On a second listen it sounded like the mid is generally quite forward in the track so it might be different sounding on your monitors.
I'll give that a careful listen - he has a rather sibilant voice and the vocals were tracked with an AT4033 - not the subtlest mic, and long gone from my collection for many reasons...

Quote:
Has it been finally mastered for release?
No, I did some quick "give-it-some-level-and-EQ" for this, but it's not mastered.

Quote:
After all the above being said, I still really enjoyed it!
Thanks for listening!

Cheers!
Old 4th May 2004
Lives for gear

Hey Bleen...

I am listening on internal laptop speakers so don't ask me about tones or mix (for what it is worth it translates just fine) but the song is kick ass, great arrangment and production.

Rock on man, very cool vibe I think you nailed it!!
Old 5th May 2004
Gear Maniac

I find it hard to believe anyone has criticisms of this mix. genuinely great! wow.
Old 6th May 2004
Gear maniac

Other that the vox that sounds a bit thin, I have one word: WOW!!!
Care to feed us on what you used on the strings, gtrs (mic/pres)?
Old 6th May 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by RaGe
Other that the vox that sounds a bit thin, I have one word: WOW!!!
Thanks, man!

Quote:
Care to feed us on what you used on the strings, gtrs (mic/pres)?
Well, when we tracked this three years ago, great gear was hard to come by with my budget, soooooooo....the drums were tracked through a Mackie 1604VLZ into a Aaron's 001, and everything else was through the 001 pre's... fuuck dfegad

He wanted to track everything to his PT|LE rig...

Guitars were mic'd with 57's and the violins and cello were mic'd with both AT4033 and Oktava MK012s - I chose the better track in the mix.

The CD was mixed on my rig in '01-'02 which at the time was based around DP3. Shortly after that I switched to Logic and that's what this new mix was done with.
Old 6th May 2004
Gear maniac

Simply amazing how you managed to get such beautiful tracks with the gear you had. It shows how talented you are man and I truly mean it.
I checked some mp3s on the artist's website, and you're right, this new mix you did is much better than what's on the CD.

Also this is the kind of music that I would like to be involved in one day.
Fantastic job!
Old 6th May 2004
Gear maniac

btw is this a real piano?
Old 6th May 2004

Wow, thanks again, RaGe!

The ADAMs I'm mixing with now don't hurt, either!heh

And no, it's not a real piano - he's still using his Yamaha P150 (I think that's the model) from the mid-90's.

Some of the cuts on the CD are real - I tracked a 9' Steinway in a chapel for a few of the songs. That was KILLER!
Old 6th May 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
[B]Thanks, man!

Well, when we tracked this three years ago, great gear was hard to come by with my budget, soooooooo....the drums were tracked through a Mackie 1604VLZ into a Aaron's 001, and everything else was through the 001 pre's... fuuck dfegad

He wanted to track everything to his PT|LE rig...

Guitars were mic'd with 57's and the violins and cello were mic'd with both AT4033 and Oktava MK012s - I chose the better track in the mix.

The CD was mixed on my rig in '01-'02 which at the time was based around DP3. Shortly after that I switched to Logic and that's what this new mix was done with.

Just goes to show what results can be had on "budget" gear. I think the production and the playing make the track. I also have great sympathy for you over the 4033, number of people I have heard rave about them, but they always sounded pants to me, I've never been a fan of any single capsule, large diaphram condensors.

Regards

Roland
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search