The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
In-The-Box Songs for feedback...
Old 26th April 2004
Gear interested

In-The-Box Songs for feedback...

MIX UPDATED: 05/04/04 - SEE BELOW... NOTE: File has now been uploaded as an attachment, see below

Charles, after a careful read of HDL and a bunch of thinking AND listening, here's a song for your (and everyone elses!) consideration and comments. The "band" is me and all the background vocals are me too.

http://www.artistlaunch.com/artists/...l_Tell.mp3.m3u If the URL doesn't work for someone please use http://www.artistlaunch.com/TheHexagon

This was recorded with Sonar 3 Producer Edition and a Yamaha DSP Factory. Vocal mic is AT 4033a through a TubeMP mic-pre. Plugins used were Cakewalk FX2-TapeSim, Lexicon verb, Antares AutoTune (sparingly!). Tele/LesPaul/P-Bass instruments, and "Drums On Demand - Vol 2" drum loops. Proteus/1 for the "organ" sounds. Post processed with Voxengo Lampthruster and the Sonitus:fx multi-band compressor. (Whew!)

Any and all comments are welcome!

- Hex
Old 29th April 2004
Gear interested

Ok, so nearly 100 people have read this message, and many have listened....

Is no one going to say anything?

If it's that bad, please say so... if it's just mediocre, say that.... but I would love some feedback

Thanks!

- Hex
Old 29th April 2004
Lives for gear

I think you have a URL problem there , I used the other one then took me into a site and that confused me. I didn't know what to download. please make it easier for us
Old 29th April 2004
Gear interested

Can do!
I've attached the file to this reply.

- Hex
Old 29th April 2004
Gear interested

Actually, it appears you can't attach a file and then click "preview", the file disappears!

Another try perhaps....
Attached Files
Old 30th April 2004
Lives for gear

Hexagon : I will not comment on the sound , because there are waaay more experienced people in this forum to help you out rather than me. But as I undertand you produced wrote this song right ?

This is what I would do to make it more interesting. I do like the song it self seems to me your writing skills surpass your engineering ones.

First. Don't over use that chorused guitar sound. Use it if you like on the intro, then cut to a acoustic with the organ backround you have there on the verses. And if you like keep the chorused guitars on the chorus, this will make your chorus from verses sound different as well make your melodies stand out more.

Second, I like to add some guitar riffs to as replys to the vocal melodic line. Your song seems to follow a straight line, and the empty spaces between the melodic vocals are not doing a thing. Except burn me out with the chorus guitar sound.

It's a good song though, it's catchy I love songs that stop give you a breather and go back in, very cool!! and I believe what you are saying. Even though I didn't listen to the lyrics much.

Thats all I have to say, work on melodies within the basic melodic vocal. AND GO EASY WITH THE CHORUS DEPTH!!!!!! "
Old 1st May 2004
Gear interested

Jose,

Thanks for the feedback! I had planned something like acoustic guitar thing and then ran out of time. I like the suggestion about the responses and will give it a whirl.

I'm planning on making some changes and giving it another go this weekend. I'd be much obliged if you'd check back early next week and give another listen.

- Hex
Old 1st May 2004
Lives for gear

Sure thing Hex, I did listen to the song like 5 times. And later on noticed you do have some type of response things on a kind of background vocal. Maybe you should bring those up a little. Or replace those with a twangy telecaster type of sound. About the chorusy sound, maybe it's just me that I'm so out of it, I had my put chorus into everything phase and kind of grew out of it. It's really up to you, but yeah.. out of all the rythm guitars my favorites are, go acoustic (double them) or go with a clean slightly overdrived guitar. I would use chorused effects only on finger picking arpeggio kind of stuff. But man, all of this is plain taste on how I would approach it, be aware you do have a very cool song with lots of potential. It reminds me of tom petty, listen to his stuff closely and the guitar sounds he uses. I think they would suit your song perfectly. I 'll be here next week to give it a listen good luck
Old 3rd May 2004
Gear interested

Once more into the breach!

Ok, here's a re-arranged, re-mixed and re-mastered version of the same song.

All comments welcome!

Thanks,

- Hex

Ok, so I forgot to check the mix in the car!!!
A new mix will be uploaded in the next reply.

I'll leave this one here just as an example of how to do it wrong
Attached Files

onlytimewilltell-050204b.mp3 (3.47 MB, 178 views)

Old 4th May 2004
Gear interested

Once more, this time with feeling....

Ok, in this mix....you should be able to hear the bass!

(and the organ, and, and...)

You get the idea

- Hex
Attached Files

onlytimewilltell-050304.mp3 (3.39 MB, 203 views)

Old 4th May 2004
Lives for gear

Ok Hex, the acoustings with the electrics are great !! I'm sure you are happy with them to. Now, that you raised the bass level , another thing poped up to me. Is the bassline following the kick drum ? For some reason I feel they are not connected. I would check that, and well there are some parts where everything makes a stop, right before (only time will tell) where things are not tight enough .. and also right before (when we do things wrong..etc..) not everyone is stoping at the same time.I'm sure you noticed it , and for some reason have not given it enough attention. besides that , I think you are good to go!

p.s. check panning also, I'm not getting a good wide image. thats it !! congragulations on the song.
Old 4th May 2004
Gear interested

Ok, a few tweaks on the bass line, some mastering and once again, for your consideration....
Attached Files

onlytimewilltell-050404.mp3 (3.45 MB, 216 views)

Old 5th May 2004
Lives for gear

Hex! I've heard your song so many times allready, I couldn't get the chorus out of my head all day.. (when we do things wrong, to learn to make things right la la lala) all day man.. I have no more comments to make, I think you have done some excellent improvements since the first version.. but what happened at minute 3:22 ???? towards the end ?? you've put another drum loop that totally thru it off.. just keep the same drum line.. the rest should be fine. By the way, Why isn't anyone else comenting in Hex's song ??? come on guys!!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search