The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
pt mixing question-how to import all settings.
Old 25th April 2004
Lives for gear

pt mixing question-how to import all settings.

hi charles.

i am a pro tools newbie(im using le 6.1 on a digi 002 rack) and i cant figure out a easy way to do this(actually i havent even been able to do at all as of yet). here is the situation.

i have tracked 13 songs and i have the 1st song all mixed and edited and i want the same exact plugins,levels,panning and settings on all of the songs. how do i copy all of those things from one song and paste them into all of the other songs? i have been told that this is one of the downfalls of pt and ther is no easy way to do this. could you give me newbie step-by-step directions on how to do this?

thanks -jay
Old 25th April 2004
Gear nut

There are a few ways...

I can think of a couple of ways to do this off the top of my head:

method 1)
-take the session you want to copy the settings from and to a "save as" with a name you'll recognize, like "mix settings"

-select all the audio in the tracks (use the all group, place the cursor anywhere in the session, then use apple+A on a Mac or control+A on the PC) and hit the delete key on the keyboard (so the audio tracks are empty but still contain plugs, panning, routing, etc...)

-click on the audio menu and select all, then clear selected, then remove

-save it and close it

-open the session you'd like to apply those settings to, and under the file menu, click import session data and choose the "mix settings" session you just saved

-in the box that pops up there is a section titled "source tracks", click on the dropdowns that default to "do not import" and choose "import as new track" and click on ok.

-in your session you should be able to select all the audio and drag them over to all the new tracks at once, or you can use the equivalent key commands (not necessarily available on LE without a controller...like the up and down buttons on a 002 or HUI will do it), or copy and paste, etc...

-delete or disable the voices on the original tracks

-yippee, your audio on the other sessions tracks with all the same plugs and routing

Method 2)

consolidate your edits in all of the sessions, then import those audio files into one session and place them so that one song follows another...looks shorter and easier, but it can take a while to do this

----------------------

The easiest way to achieve all the same routing and effects across the board is to track everything for all the songs in a single session from the beginning.

There are other ways to do it, but most involve pretty much the same things with slight variations...you'll probably discover what's easiest for you as you go through the first few tunes.

-Good Luck.

-Chris
Old 26th April 2004
Lives for gear

In 6.x there's a feature that was designed for this very purpose.

Import Session Data under the 'file' menu.

Enjoy
Old 26th April 2004
Gear addict

I think the easiest way is to just consolidate all of the tracks...and make sure everything starts at the SAME time stamp. I think this is good anyways...just to organize everything and delete unwanted audio. It might take some time however.

Save the previous mix you did as something else and delete all of the audio though

Re-import tracks and save as "song 2 - mix"
Old 26th April 2004
Lives for gear

I'm with Jan. Import Session Data has been designed for just this purpose. I use it all the time. No need for these other "work arounds".
drew
Old 26th April 2004
Gear nut

the import session data is very basic in ProTools LE so you dont have the option like in TDM to import tracksettings or only audio to tracks.
So importing the audiofiles and placing them on the right track manually is how you do it. Chris's method works, you can also drag (if you consilidated your tracks) your audiofiles from the Digibrowser to your tracks.
For me the solution is to track all songs to the same session and then when i have a mix ready of one of the songs i use it as template for the other songs and save them as separate sessionfiles.

hopes this makes any sense...

/mike
Old 26th April 2004
Gear nut

Thanks for pointing that out mike,

my method is the "import session data" method, not a 'workaround'...just written out step by step for LE.
Old 26th April 2004
Lives for gear

sorry, didn't realize it was different for LE.
Old 26th April 2004
Lives for gear

Good tips...I am in the same boat.heh
Old 26th April 2004
Gear nut

tis cool

Honestly, the biggest differences b/w tdm at work and le at home that I notice are in the different import/export options, like this one...and a few of the automation features (like printing the current parameter to track at the touch of a button). The other differences are rarely a factor on my home setup. To import the track data in LE, you've got to import the entire track (hence the first few steps creating a blank session with all of his mix settings) and then put the audio onto those tracks.

-Chris
Old 28th April 2004
Lives for gear

Re: There are a few ways...

Quote:
Originally posted by chriscavell

The easiest way to achieve all the same routing and effects across the board is to track everything for all the songs in a single session from the beginning.

There are other ways to do it, but most involve pretty much the same things with slight variations...you'll probably discover what's easiest for you as you go through the first few tunes.

-Good Luck.

-Chris [/B]
That is indeed a seductive way to work, but it can be dangerous when editing. If you do a shuffle edit on a guitar part on one song, for instance, and the track slides a little, realize that all your guitar tracks for the following songs will slide as well. You can find some nasty surprises later.

-R
Old 28th April 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Re: There are a few ways...

Quote:
Originally posted by RKrizman
That is indeed a seductive way to work, but it can be dangerous when editing. If you do a shuffle edit on a guitar part on one song, for instance, and the track slides a little, realize that all your guitar tracks for the following songs will slide as well. You can find some nasty surprises later.

-R
and not only that, the region folder can get really messy after heavy edits. it even can get messy from one song, so you can imagine how it can be with 12 songs in it.
why not use a digital photocamera, take a pic of the first mix and move on to the next mix. i now its time consuming but its a way to get it done
best of luck
Old 28th April 2004
Lives for gear

thanks for the replys everyone. i wish there was a simlpe way to do ths just by hitting a button or something. mabye someday.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search