The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Stereo Buss!
Old 25th April 2004
Lives for gear

The Stereo Buss!

"There's so much more to say and I'm still just on krid's post. I will come back later and discuss the stereo buss in more detail, which I am in at least one regard approaching completely differently than I did in HDL (more later)."

Hey Charles,

I'd love to hear more about your new approach to the Stereo Buss. I learned a lot from your HDL sessions. After that I started using Dad Tape on almost every mix I did. Please share what's new. Thanx. Take Care. Fidelis
Old 25th April 2004
FX smörgåsbord user

Fidelis,

Thanks for your compliments re HDL. About the stereo bus, fear not I will soon discuss it in as much detail as you would like. I'm traveling this weekend, so I can't just yet. I promise to make my absence up to you next week.

Thanks.
Old 26th April 2004
Gear maniac

looking forward to this also.
especially how u use DUY wide - and where it sits in the chain - and whether you setup your 2-buss at the beginning of a mix - or more towards the end.

thx.
Old 27th April 2004
Lives for gear

...only four days left in April.
Old 27th April 2004
FX smörgåsbord user

Quote:
Originally posted by bassmac
...only four days left in April.
Yes, but I will be sticking around for another month, so I can answer the unanswered questions.
Old 27th April 2004
Lives for gear

WHEHEY..!! One more month. That is indeed good news..!!!
Old 28th April 2004
Gear Head

Talking

how about one more year!heh
Old 28th April 2004
Lives for gear

Or just stay indefinitely???
Old 7th May 2004
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by spherop
looking forward to this also.
especially how u use DUY wide - and where it sits in the chain - and whether you setup your 2-buss at the beginning of a mix - or more towards the end.

thx.
bump
Old 7th May 2004
Gear maniac

definitely interested in how charles handles the master fader...

my chain looks something like this:

ac1 (dual mono) on console 3 setting hitting about 1 db of reduction -->

rencomp on master soft or master fat preset hitting less than 3 db of reduction -->

lineq or linmb to add some top end clarity -->

ac2 to add the low end punch -->

L2 for the dithering and to add some volume if it's not a file that's going to a mastering facility

i'd love to stick the duy wide or waves s1 to the chain to make up for some of pro tools width problems, but currently don't own them. in some ways, i think of my master fader plug-ins as a way to work around some of the shortcoming of mixing all in the box (like spatial depth and clarity, width, etc...)

talk to ya later,
travis.
Old 20th May 2004
Gear maniac

charles, what do you use on the stereo bus?
Old 23rd May 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles Dye
Fidelis,

Thanks for your compliments re HDL. About the stereo bus, fear not I will soon discuss it in as much detail as you would like. I'm traveling this weekend, so I can't just yet. I promise to make my absence up to you next week.

Thanks.
Heu, Charles, I would really like to hear it from you... I know you're busy right now but... just don't forget about it, ok? Thanx.
Old 24th May 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by travista00
my chain looks something like this:

ac1 (dual mono) on console 3 setting hitting about 1 db of reduction -->
Do you trust the GR readings on Analog Channel? I find that they never show more than few dB of GR, even when I can hear very obvious compression. Looking at the plasma meters and comparing input to output seems to confirm that there is a few dB of GR going on before the VU-style gain reduction meter will even move, especially on AC2.
Old 25th May 2004
Gear maniac

no, i don't trust those gain reduction meters on analog channel. what i usually do is view input meters and hit anywhere from -3 to 0 while watching the three segment led meter to hit orange occasionally. and obviously using your ears to fine tune to taste, but it is a subtle efect so some metering does help... sometimes those meters are actually blacked out on the plug-in interface. weird bug on pro tools 6|hd on mac os x i guess.

travis
Old 26th May 2004
FX smörgåsbord user

Fidelis, spherop, bassmac, travista00 + everyone else,

Guys + gals (it's hard to tell in webforums sometimes) I humbly apologize for taking so long. I have finally posted my answer to your question. Please see the thread: Mixing Through a Compressor On the Stereo Buss.

As I say there, I do pretty much everything the same as I talk about in HDL: The Big Picture... Show — Stereo Buss Processing, with one exception, which is the topic of the thread.

Thanks once again for your patience.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search