The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How important to you is what compression & EQ on your mix buss is doing?
Old 20th July 2015
Gear Nut

How important to you is what compression & EQ on your mix buss is doing?

Hi, how your compression and EQ (if you are using) on mix buss forces you to make decisions in mix? If you mix a song and then turn them off would it be a very big difference to you? what is the best way to use it in your opinion? thanks for answering

View most liked answer
Old 22nd July 2015
Ross Hogarth

pick the compression you are using early on
after you've probably started to get a drum and bass balance
then when you like what you have
its ON
thats it ON !
so if you did turn it off
it would affect your mix adversely
if when you turn it off you like your mix better
youve screwed the pooch
and eq
same
if youre gonna put a little eq on
put it on early because why would you be eqing your individual channels and then eq the mix to change that ?
sometimes a late in the game smiley curve is ok
but in general i get eq and compression working early on and set it and forget it basically
Old 23rd July 2015
Electron shuffler

Hey Ross, I've also got a Dramastic Obsidian on the mix buss (the thing just slays!). Am I right then in thinking that you're triggering 2-4dB reduction with just your drums/bass mix to begin with, and then filling everything else in afterward? Do you find you have to keep adjusting the threshold higher to stop it compressing more as you build more elements into the mix? Or do you shape the other elements so they don't push the compressor harder than your drums are? How do you get around the vocal pushing the compressor too far?
Old 24th July 2015
Ross Hogarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Hey Ross, I've also got a Dramastic Obsidian on the mix buss (the thing just slays!). Am I right then in thinking that you're triggering 2-4dB reduction with just your drums/bass mix to begin with, and then filling everything else in afterward? Do you find you have to keep adjusting the threshold higher to stop it compressing more as you build more elements into the mix? Or do you shape the other elements so they don't push the compressor harder than your drums are? How do you get around the vocal pushing the compressor too far?

DRAMASTIC OBSIDION !!!!!!!!!!! The cats meow for the mix buss ...
and I always have the side chain button ON !!!!
this way the lo end does not make my mix pump heavily on the punchy bottom I like

actually Tony, I am barely tapping the compressor with my drums and bass
so when the other elements are all added I may at the highest peak of the song like the bridge or last chorus , I am compressing maybe 3 db ...when I am 4db in, I am probably not really loving my mix
I dont like more than 3-4 db TOPS on my mix buss
BUT
I might be crushing certain individual items
but a lot of mix buss compression with collapse my imaging and depth of field
so i recommend giving yourself more head room
because even if you are dropping the threshold, your output mixer headroom is till probably hitting a bit hard ...
Old 25th July 2015
Electron shuffler

Thanks for the in-depth answer!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search