The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A talk about tube gear Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 16th July 2015
Gear Nut

A talk about tube gear

Hello,

I am wondering how good you are familiar with preamp tubes. I don't do guitars and bass amps, but love the line-level based pro dynamic processors. I am talking about the Vari-Mu units, or any proper tube compressor/limiter/EQ/. Loving the Russian tubes, they have insane specs, and sound very nice, linear IMO.

I now have the Drawmer 1968mk2 and it's decent. Gives this smooth'ness on groups or mixbus. I once had the HCL Vari-Mu and that one made me an addict for good tube compressors.

What is your attitude against these tube products? Let aside the guitar/bass amps. What do you recommend how to set-up such units in practice? Any general sayings, words of wisdom, or good practical guidance?

Thanks.

Old 18th July 2015
Ross Hogarth

Hi
I'm not totally clear on your question but I guess your asking me if I like tube gear ...
I am a total lover of certain tube and transformer based gear.
I have been using tubes and transformers my whole career and don't plan ever to stop
My Retro Instruments gear made by Phil Moore are some of my very favorite recent tube gear
He makes magical boxes
His Sta Level compressors, 176 compressor and 2A3 eq are in use every single day ...
Eveanna Manley's ELOP stereo LA2a has been a go to since the early 90's
My LA 2a and my LA2 are mainstays
my modded Altecs are crushing everyday
Steve Jackson now makes Pultecs that are perfect and awesome and I love them
Steve Firlotte and Inward Connections TSL3 is a goto vocal and acoustic guitar smasher
The 3D quality of a well capped , NOS tubed piece of gear is unbeatable and can't be truly modeled by a plugin I'm sorry to say
many plugs come close but no cigar
It's nice that you can buy a rather rare and expensive 6386 tube now from JJ easily so good tubes are not as hard to get as they were around 10 years ago
I think once you have played around with certain tube gear you will find its rather sweet tonal beauty with its wonderful harmonic distortion
Old 21st July 2015
Lives for gear

which altecs and can you outline the mods?

thanks
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search