The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2408mkIII and pci424 w/cuemixDSP
Old 15th August 2002
There is only one

2408mkIII and pci424 w/cuemixDSP

anyone seen this on the back on the new electronic musician?

1.59ms latency INCLUDING convertor latency. 10 samples on the cuemix, 60 on the convertor.

pci424 card gives you 4! ports for any of the motu interfaces. 96 channels i/o at 48, 48 channels at 96.

2408mkIII is 96khz compatible... bunch of other features [video synce, SMPTE, etc]
Old 16th August 2002
Sounds like good news,

If that is used as a core, do all the other Motu devices hanging off it benefit too?

rollz
Old 16th August 2002
There is only one

yes, all devices [1296, 1224, 24i, 308, 2408 1&2] benefit from the cuemixDSP that are hooked up to it.
Old 16th August 2002
You must be excited then!

Old 16th August 2002
There is only one

why yes i am... man. i cannot begin to describe my excitement. inserting ourboard will be a breeze.
Old 16th August 2002
Inserting a piece of outboard on just one element in a multi mic'ed kit will be a pain, the rest of the signals will need the same delay.... But you will figure out stratagies to get round that....

Overdubs however should be a breeze.

You will need outboard recall sheet / templates next! And.......(gulp!) A PEN!

heh
Old 16th August 2002
There is only one

overdubs area breeze NOW. MOTU automatically compensates for system delay when the track is recorded so subsequent overdubs are in perfect time with older tracks... only a slight delay is noticable to SOME players now, but no more than standing a few feet from an amp, but with cuemixDSP, it will be virtually un-noticable... and less delay than any other native system.
Old 16th August 2002
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
You will need outboard recall sheet / templates next! And.......(gulp!) A PEN!
nope, its called a digital camera or analog and sysex for midi capable digital gear.
Old 16th August 2002
Gear Head

Any idea on when this is coming out?

I was about to get a DP setup with a 2408mkii.

Wondering if I should wait.
Old 18th August 2002
Gear Head

I wonder if you'll be able to get a PCI-424 card without an I/O box. Hanging my 1296 off one of these sounds like a good idea. Then again, I could use a 2408-type device for lightpipe stuff and aux sends.

I'm glad to see MOTU doing something in response the the major props that RME have been getting in the latency department.
Old 19th August 2002
There is only one

no card without the mk3. but the mk3 does 96k so it will go well with the 1296 if you move on up in sample rates.

i heard in october.
Old 20th August 2002
Lives for gear

Alpha,

What si your current DP setup ( Computer, convertors, HD) and what type of latency are you getting?

if it is cool to ask. I have a buddy looking at DP, and I have no knowlege as to what the latency probs are ( or if it is a prob AT ALL)

Thanks,

Steve
Old 20th August 2002
I think it is freaky great that higher sample rates = lower converter thru delays!

Old 20th August 2002
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
Alpha,

What si your current DP setup ( Computer, convertors, HD) and what type of latency are you getting?

if it is cool to ask. I have a buddy looking at DP, and I have no knowlege as to what the latency probs are ( or if it is a prob AT ALL)

Thanks,

Steve
its on my site... but a dualGHZ w/1GB ram running a 1296/2408v1 and i run my buffers at 128-256 for tracking and 8k for mixing [altiverb] at 128 buffer setting latency is negligable for cue mixes even running through effects. 256 is passible. 512 delay sets in for players. i use 7200 dma133 drives. they seem to work well and my 10k scsi drives are now collecting dust.

the big problem is when using outboard and the [comb filtering i guess] when summing a dry and outboard chain together... but then again, ALL digital systems suffer from this and you just need to figure out your sample delay and adjust all the other tracks to have everything arrive at the exact same time.

recording, even though there is inherent latency among the tracks, DP "records" subsequent overdubs in the proper location so no nudging is required. same thing if you actually print your outboard tracks [if you offset them to set the outboard, you will have to take off the offset after you print the track... weird huh?]

im not exactly sure how this cuemix dsp will fit into a mix situation... if it works while not in record mode... and if i only have a 10sample delay running to digital outboard [the other 60 are for the convertors] i guess i will find out.
Old 20th August 2002
Lives for gear

Exactly the type of Info I needed, Thanks man.

Steve
Old 23rd August 2002
Lives for gear

Alphajerk:

Do you think DP3 would work well on one of the new 17" imacs, or do you think, in practice, it would be a bitch and you really need to get a powermac?

(Bonus question -- have you seen the Presonus FireStation? I wonder if you could use it to route all data, audio, midi, etc., into DP instead of a MOTU interface -- even using it to route midi for a mackie/motu control surface?)

TIA,

MattiMattMatt
Old 24th August 2002
I would be willing to bet that the peachy low latency specs advertized are only possible with 96k Sessions.
Old 24th August 2002
There is only one

nope, its in samples. so 10 samples at 48khz will be longer than at 96khz. with the convertors [60 more samples] @ 44.1khz its mathmatically measured at 1.59ms. at 48khz it would be 1.46ms. at 96khz it would be 0.72ms.
Old 24th August 2002
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by MattiMattMatt
Alphajerk:

Do you think DP3 would work well on one of the new 17" imacs, or do you think, in practice, it would be a bitch and you really need to get a powermac?

(Bonus question -- have you seen the Presonus FireStation? I wonder if you could use it to route all data, audio, midi, etc., into DP instead of a MOTU interface -- even using it to route midi for a mackie/motu control surface?)

TIA,

MattiMattMatt
personally, i would go with a full bore G4 dualGHZ+ mac. more power the better in nativeland.

i havent used, touched, or even seen the firestation first hand... only the ads and dont pay much attention to presonus stuff. i personally would go with the PCI424 card and various interfaces to have greater expandability.
Old 25th August 2002
Lives for gear

Alpha -- thanks. makes sense.

One of the aspects of the FireStation that seems interesting to me, and of potential use as a complement to the MOTU interface, is that all signals -- including midi -- are sent through firewire. That means that if you're using the Mackie control unit thingy, it's communicating with the computer via a firewire cable rather than usb, and is probably less apt to encounter the sort of problems people encounter when going long distances (of course, using a firewire repeater).

I'm looking to be able to control DP3 from a ways away from the computer, and am concerned about a stable control surface.

-M.M.M.
Old 1st September 2002
Gear interested

Re: 2408mkIII and pci424 w/cuemixDSP

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
anyone seen this on the back on the new electronic musician?

1.59ms latency INCLUDING convertor latency. 10 samples on the cuemix, 60 on the convertor.

pci424 card gives you 4! ports for any of the motu interfaces. 96 channels i/o at 48, 48 channels at 96.

2408mkIII is 96khz compatible... bunch of other features [video synce, SMPTE, etc]

Uh, what is different from the current CueMix (other than the look of it?) I use this to mix outboard verb returns with my main mix. I thought there was already next to no latency using that - no?

You think this new card will compete with RME performance? I have often hought of going to their DSP MultiFace/DigiFace system - looks cool on paper, but I already have a pretty cool MOTU setup.

What a bunch of cool smilies this sight has....

dfegad cool!
Old 1st September 2002
There is only one

Re: Re: 2408mkIII and pci424 w/cuemixDSP

Quote:
Originally posted by stevepow

Uh, what is different from the current CueMix (other than the look of it?) I use this to mix outboard verb returns with my main mix. I thought there was already next to no latency using that - no?
it offloads the processing with its built in DSP bypassing the CPU for faster routing of audio.
Old 1st September 2002
Gear interested

I figured it was already doing that - maybe not. Coould be a nice upgrade and all my existing parts still work, but the mixer doesn't look nearly as cool as the TotalMix setup that RME has - although that would be a pricier solution and might not really buy me anything but bells and whistles.

Much as people dog out MOTU, I've enjoyed my setup and I don't even use a Mac .
Old 6th September 2002
Lives for gear

Anyone heard what the street price for the Mk III/PCI424 is? I guess I'll have to upgrade and dump my MK IIs. It's always something...
Old 6th September 2002
There is only one

same as the mk2 [$995]
Old 7th September 2002
Lives for gear

What's up with the SMPTE/SPDIF ins and outs? It looks like they share RCA connectors.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search