The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Q+A with Vance Powell - brought to you by Universal Audio

Options
Views: 6,658
24th November 2017
Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post

It wouldn't be quite as much fun unless we give away a super cool prize at the end of the whole thing, would it? So to that end,...

Whitecat
replies: 1 views: 753
Whitecat 1 week ago

A big welcome to Vance Powell who will be joining us from Nov 6th for a 2-week Q+A - thanks very kindly to the cool cats at...

Whitecat
replies: 1 views: 910
Jonathan@FPA 2nd November 2017

If you haven't seen this yet, it's very much worth watching - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG1GnVMFAqQ (Vance will be more...

Whitecat
replies: 0 views: 817
Whitecat 1st November 2017

Just in case you haven't participated in a Q+A on Gearslutz before, here are our house rules... 1) All questions will be...

Whitecat
replies: 0 views: 505
Whitecat 1st November 2017

Time flies when you are absorbing wisdom from a master at the top of his game... and thus we’re at the end of the Q+A...

Whitecat
replies: 1 views: 519
Whitecat 2 weeks ago

Hello Vance! Cheers for taking the time to do this, very cool. I'm a fan of a lot of your work, but will get right on with the...

szyam
replies: 2 views: 1,360
szyam 3 weeks ago

Hi Mr Powell, As a big fan of your work, I have ask what mics did you use to record the brass section on the White Stripes...

DoctorBonkers
replies: 6 views: 1,768
DoctorBonkers 3 weeks ago

I love the drums on this album. Nice and roomy but also powerful. I'd be interested in hearing how the drums were miced up. ...

Quint
replies: 1 views: 854
vancalot 3 weeks ago

Vance, I was reminded a few months back of an Andrew Scheps nugget where he engaged the 60 Hz filter on the UAD Helios without...

mischultz
replies: 1 views: 741
vancalot 3 weeks ago

Hi Vance, do you like using any kind of eq in your mix bus? What is your favourite 2 track format? Tape (machine?), or...

american
replies: 1 views: 884
vancalot 3 weeks ago

Hi Vance, can you explain how is your gain stage between the output of the preamps, the A/D converter and Pro Tools. For...

torquemada
replies: 1 views: 764
vancalot 3 weeks ago

Hello, Vance! Do you often print UAD plugins on tracks when you record artists, or do you prefer to use plugins only when you...

kangasm
replies: 1 views: 755
vancalot 3 weeks ago

Hi Vance! What's your favourite BBQ in Nashville!? I'm mean how do you manage your time on a daily schedule in the studio with...

laperlestudio
replies: 1 views: 652
vancalot 3 weeks ago

Hey Vance! I absolutely adored this as a Bond theme - thought it re-energised things quite a bit and still paid homage to...

Whitecat
replies: 1 views: 651
vancalot 3 weeks ago

Hello Vance, Thanks for taking the time to chat with us! When you are presented a session to mix, where you had no...

GearGuy
replies: 4 views: 869
GearGuy 3 weeks ago

Hi Vance, Thanks again for doing this. I'm really a big fan of your work and it's awesome that this Q&A is finally...

Joao B.
replies: 3 views: 938
Joao B. 3 weeks ago

OK, how does a Nashville guy known for aggressive indie rock, end up having Beyonce on his Discography? I actually though you...

Drumsound
replies: 1 views: 928
vancalot 3 weeks ago

Age-old question, but I'd love to hear your favorite gear/techniques for capturing the singing, acoustic guitar player.

americanbison
replies: 1 views: 607
vancalot 3 weeks ago

Vance, Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. It is so super helpful and insightful. My two sets of questions...

schuerman
replies: 1 views: 621
vancalot 3 weeks ago

Hey ya Vance! Hope you're doing well man. I've heard you talk a bit before about microphones and outboard gear that is...

AntillesSound
replies: 1 views: 850
vancalot 3 weeks ago

Thanks for being here to answer all these questions! I'm curious if you have a 'default' template for most rock recording...

timtoonz
replies: 1 views: 731
vancalot 3 weeks ago

Hi Vance, you are known for using guitar pedals while mixing, be it distortion or delays etc.. What is your thoughtprocess for...

Zzzyxa
replies: 3 views: 1,013
vancalot 3 weeks ago

Hey man... Thanks for doing this! kfhkh What would you say are your strengths as both producer and mixer and what helped you...

JulianFernandez
replies: 1 views: 594
vancalot 3 weeks ago

Hi Vance an thank you for doing that Q&A, i really love the tone of Alison Mosshart's vocals on the Dead Weather records,...

lioonel_dg
replies: 1 views: 734
vancalot 3 weeks ago

Hey Vance and Co, What is your favorite converter/interface for mixing/mastering?

thundercastle
replies: 1 views: 1,064
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Hi Vance, thanks for taking the time for this Q+A. I was wondering that how do you keep yourself fresh when mixing music...

justjoo
replies: 1 views: 584
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Hello Vance, Could you share about your relationship/friendship with Mitch Dane and Sputnik? What have friendships and...

plunderpot
replies: 1 views: 474
vancalot 4 weeks ago

With so many people going all ITB mixing, do you think you'll ever be one of them? Though I imagine you're firmly OTB right now,...

Quint
replies: 1 views: 1,195
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Hi Vance, like everybody else here, I'm a huge fan of your work. You do have a very bold style of recording and mixing, always...

laperlestudio
replies: 1 views: 653
vancalot 4 weeks ago

I had forgot you worked with Stapleton until someone brought it up in here. I was working on a project that was in the same vein...

andersmv
replies: 1 views: 826
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Hello Vance, grateful for your time and work like the rest of us! You've mentioned the Empirical Labs Fatso - can you share...

plunderpot
replies: 1 views: 1,001
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Hello! Thanks for doing this Q&A. I'm very curious about the vocal reverb/ambience on Chris Stapleton' 'Tennessee...

c0rtland
replies: 1 views: 696
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Hi Vance, love your work, and really dig how you craft unique sounds. I really have appreciated your behind the scenes videos-...

RaygunRS
replies: 1 views: 562
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Hi Vance Thanks for doing this Q&A. I was wondering how you got that sick guitar sound on High Ball Stepper? At one point,...

BlueVelvet
replies: 1 views: 648
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Hey Vance , Thanks as always for taking time out to answer questions and forward the art of recording. You used to have a...

Wiggy Neve Slut
replies: 1 views: 939
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Hello, Is there any chance you could share any further information you can recall about the mixing of Consolers of the...

wineredno1
replies: 5 views: 1,111
wineredno1 4 weeks ago

Hi Vance, Do you have any suggestions for getting kick, snare, overhead all in phase with one another? I can usually get kick...

bwb011
replies: 1 views: 971
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Are you still able to listen music and just enjoy it, anytime or are you always thinking like "why do they record the drum...

EBMusic
replies: 1 views: 625
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Hi Vance, Thanks for your time I'm a big fan of your work!!! At Sputnik Sound I was wondering if the wooden fence surrounding...

scorpiwoman
replies: 2 views: 712
scorpiwoman 4 weeks ago

Hey Vance...big fan of your work, and thanks so much for doing this. Just wondering how you approach recording the bass. Are you...

nick8801
replies: 2 views: 1,059
nick8801 4 weeks ago

Thank you for participating! I was greatly inspired by your UA session and loved to hear you speak in the clip about mic leakage...

mr jkn
replies: 2 views: 575
mr jkn 4 weeks ago

Hello and thanks Vance. Before I new your name, I was blown away with the drums on The Deadweather's Horehound album. In...

beatsnblunts
replies: 1 views: 715
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Hi Vance, What methods did you use for Blunderbuss? Jack White is known for his love of vintage methods of...

vintagetones
replies: 1 views: 641
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Vance, I'm working on getting better at recording a vocal with more (or, better selection of) processing on the way in to make...

Garnettstudios
replies: 1 views: 1,000
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Hi Vance, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I really love your philosophy of live recording in the...

katbox
replies: 1 views: 539
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Hi Vance, Thanks for taking some time to answer these questions. If you were thrown into an empty church and tasked to make a...

limbs
replies: 4 views: 1,137
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Vance, Thanks for taking time to answer a few questions. I'm a fan of your work and I really like the video you did that...

Rockinrob
replies: 1 views: 932
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Hey Vance! Will you be my Dad? Watched the Tyler Bryant and the Shakedown session at pureMix. Love your relaxed rock-n-roll...

Robby in WA
replies: 1 views: 1,089
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Vance, thanks so much for doing this. I really dig your work. You always inject serious vibe and attitude into your mixes. When...

DrSax
replies: 3 views: 1,407
vancalot 4 weeks ago

Hi Vance, thanks so much for doing this Q&A! I'm not much of a country fan, but can't help but admire Chris Stapleton's...

bambamboom
replies: 6 views: 1,252
vancalot 8th November 2017

hi Mr Powell, thank you for being here .. may i ask about your Apollo Session. this is several related questions .. i hope this...

jwh1192
replies: 4 views: 1,150
jwh1192 7th November 2017

Thanks for taking the time to do this Vance! One thing that I really think sets your mixes apart for me is the drums. They have...

The Oh
replies: 1 views: 1,111
vancalot 7th November 2017

Hey Vance! Really dig how you treat Vocals, especially your work with Tyler Bryant. How do you decide on delay times and...

hw2nw
replies: 1 views: 1,129
vancalot 7th November 2017

Hi Vance- thanks for doing this! I'm a big fan of your work, and your real music in real time aesthetic. As you know, there...

americanbison
replies: 1 views: 1,125
vancalot 6th November 2017
Forum Tools
Search this Forum
Search this Forum :

Advanced Search