The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Convincing Clients to keep it simple
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Convincing Clients to keep it simple

I had forgot you worked with Stapleton until someone brought it up in here. I was working on a project that was in the same vein as a lot of the songs on Traveller right after it came out. When I sent out the mixes, he referenced a song off that album and asked me why I couldn't make it sound like that song.

My initial reaction went back to the recording stage when I kept trying to get him to keep things simple, but he insisted on layering multiple acoustic and electric guitar tracks, then went to another studio a few months later to add some more stuff last minute. I constantly find myself fighting musicians to keep things simpler, less track and stripped back. Do you have any advise on navigating that sort of thing?

I know I can always just press "mute", but the problem seems bigger than that. The common fear is that "my album is going to sound small", but it's like running into a brick wall trying to convince a lot of people that less can be more. You've always been good at that in your productions and mixes, do I just need to learn to be a better diplomat early on in production?
Old 13th November 2017
special guest

Well, this is a tough one. You need to be on the same team with the artist. Thats a tough one because they all have fragile ego's. Mostly.
It's probably an earlier rather than later conversation.

If you try and make the recording sound as big as possible first, then it's easy. But if they want to put a bunch of stuff on it, let them, then show them how much better it is with out it.. make a mix with just the most basic elements, then slowly add parts until it's too much.. Like salt in soup...
Hopefully the artist see's the light. If not, well suck it up and do what they want because it's their record not yours.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search