The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Inspired performances and how to get them
Old 7th November 2017
Gear Head

Inspired performances and how to get them

Hi Vance, love your work, and really dig how you craft unique sounds. I really have appreciated your behind the scenes videos- very inspiring. My question has more to do with studio psychology - I was curious if you have any particular philosophy or approach you use, or even a unique story you could share on how you go about getting inspired takes from a performer?

Thanks!
- Chris
Old 12th November 2017
special guest

I do everything I can to try and make them feel safe and comfortable. Safe enough to fail, and comfortable enough to reach deep and succeed.
Sounds like corporate BS, but it's the most important thing..
Richard Dodd told be a good trick once.. make sure you always set the lead vocalist' mic a bit too low.. that way you have to come out and raise it up to them.. makes them feel "bigger" that you thought they were shorter..
And, never stop tape (PT..) while a female (or male in fact) vocalist is singing, as in mid sentence. No one like to hear themselves suddenly out in space...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search