The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vocal Chain Process
Old 6th November 2017
Vocal Chain Process

Vance,
I'm working on getting better at recording a vocal with more (or, better selection of) processing on the way in to make the artist and mix feel better during recording. What is your typical method to get the vocal sounds you use during tracking? What effects do you tend to have on a vocal to get the artist to perform their best? I realize this is very general, but any insight into your workflow would be incredible!
Old 10th November 2017
Special Guest

I'm still trying to get the foolproof vocal sound!
This is a tough one.. because sometimes I'll setup an amp in the room with the singer so that they get a bit of an overdriven "push" in the room with them, sometimes I've tracked vocals in the control room with the bigs on tons of delay and verb on the vocals so that when I stop tape it will start feeding back.. makes for a powerful vocal take, that's full of noise.. sometimes that's good!
With Stapleton, he sings every take live, so he's out there with the bass and his guita,r the Drums are behind a door in a booth right next to him.. With JackWhite, sometimes I would put all the fx on top of a gobo in front of him and let him manipulate them in real time (Cut's Like a Buffalo). We should have no rules, just do what ever works. And be prepared to fail.. it's ok.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search