The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
EQ + Kick Drum Questions
Old 6th November 2017
Question EQ + Kick Drum Questions

Hey Vance! Will you be my Dad?

Watched the Tyler Bryant and the Shakedown session at pureMix. Love your relaxed rock-n-roll attitude.

Question 1: I noticed at mix time you didn't use much eq. High passed the BGVs and a few tweaks here and there. Did you eq on the way in? Or was it more about mic placement?

Question 2: The kick drum sound on that. I remember you used an external muffler. Could you talk about how you set that up ( with song tempo if I remember correctly). Also what mics, placement, and processing was used. I love the sound you got on that.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this.
Old 9th November 2017
Special Guest

I try to go for the sound of the mix while recording.. so if it needs eq, it gets it.. Compression, gating reverb, delay etc.. I make a point to try to never move the faders, either in PT's or on my desk while recording.. that way the mix is pretty easy to recreate! Set at 0db and mix..

The kick is an old 47 Leedy with a calfskin-like head on the front, so I dampened it with a Temperpedic (Sp?) pillow resting on end against the front head.. This makes a cool sound because when the drummer hit the drums it comes off the head, then falls back on it.. if you mess with the angle you can change the timing.. making the drum longer or shorter..
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search