The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Raconteurs
Old 5th November 2017
Gear Maniac

The Raconteurs

Hello,

Is there any chance you could share any further information you can recall about the mixing of Consolers of the Lonely?

I know some things have been covered before in other threads like the use of the dbx sub harmonic synthesiser (dbx 110?) on lots of elements. But anything more on anything would be great.

It's one of my favourite albums and apart from the other threads that you've appeared in over the years where you talk specifically about that album there isn't too much information out there about it.

Thanks

Mike
Old 9th November 2017
Lives for gear

I would also love to know. Still use the opening tracks as my reference for rock and roll sounds.

I'm a huge huge fan of Vance's work!!
Old 10th November 2017
special guest

I wrote a big long post and then accidentally closed the window. damn.. I'll get to it, bear with me!
Old 10th November 2017
special guest

So, where to start here..
I guess a few technical things...
The record was recorded (masterfully) by Joe Chiccarelli on 2 locked Studer 827 16 tracks at 30 ips, no noise reduction.
He used RMGI 900 tape which sounded great but had some serious issues later in the process..

I transferred each song (locked to tape) into PT's to facilitate mixing faster as waiting for the machines to lock up was not the most efficient way of working. We transferred locked so that we could easily stitch back to the tape to see what it sounded like and the Flying Fader automation was still valid.

Tape was always better. Always.

Blackbird has Elco Patch's for the tape machine connection to the desk so it was easy to move them around to transfer. After we transferred we would hook the PT out to the Tape machine inputs and then mix thru the machine on input.

It's a long story about how I got involved but I'll leave that story till after the statute of limitations elapses and the bodies are good and cold.

I walked in a day early to finish horns (The Memphis Horns) on "The Switch and the Spur". We got the first half done (they had been there all day and were tired!), then finished in the am.

First song I mixed was "Consoler's". I started at about 2pm and finished an approved mix by 9pm with some dinner in the middle. From there it became a two song a day whirlwind until I had all 15 songs done. It took 14 days total to do all the mixes and recalls. Two songs were left off to be included in a Vault package later..

more later...
Old 11th November 2017
Lives for gear

Vance,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share!

What kind of issues did you have with the SM900 tape? Do you know anything about the mic setup for drums and guitar?

I think I remember watching a video of you from a few years back saying that you used a DBX120 subharmonic synth on the drums. Was it just on the kick?
Old 12th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks Vance.

I wait with anticipation for the next instalment.......
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search