The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Apollo Session ..
Old 4th November 2017
Gear Guru

Apollo Session ..

hi Mr Powell, thank you for being here .. may i ask about your Apollo Session. this is several related questions .. i hope this is ok with the Mods .. !!

1) was there anything Except the Apollo(s) used for this session, external mic pre amps, Eq's, Comps, etc .. ??

2) was the video done after the recording ?? as i see some headphones hanging on a music stand and no in-ears or wedges ..

3) but most of all Monitoring & Monitoring Control .. was the Physical Console used in the recording for HeadPhone mixes, or for running Apollo(s) back through for either Mixing or using the Physcal Console for it's Volume Knob ??? and i see you using the Talkback but hard to tell what else was being used ..

again, thx for being here with us at GS .. and very nice work !!! love the music, please pass this along to Marty from me / us !!!

cheers john
Old 6th November 2017
Special Guest

Let me break this down a bit.. read between the lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
hi Mr Powell, thank you for being here .. may i ask about your Apollo Session. this is several related questions .. i hope this is ok with the Mods .. !!

1) was there anything Except the Apollo(s) used for this session, external mic pre amps, Eq's, Comps, etc .. ??
No, I only used the Apollo 8p preamps.

Quote:
2) was the video done after the recording ?? as i see some headphones hanging on a music stand and no in-ears or wedges ..
it is the take, we decided to use no headphones..

Quote:
3) but most of all Monitoring & Monitoring Control .. was the Physical Console used in the recording for HeadPhone mixes, or for running Apollo(s) back through for either Mixing or using the Physcal Console for it's Volume Knob ??? and i see you using the Talkback but hard to tell what else was being used ..
we used one of the 9k external returns to monitor and the 9k master volume pot only. The talkback you hear was the studio talkback as we used no headphones!

<edited for clarity of reply - mod>
Old 6th November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancalot View Post
Let me break this down a bit.. read between the lines...
ok, good to know .. very nice to hear they did the take without Cans ..

did you set it up this way with Apollo Console Software for this session and then decide to go without Cans ??? or never even get as far as setting those headphone mixes up ...

i am curious, have you done any headphone mixes directly from the Apollo Console Software in other sessions ??? if so, any feedback from musicians on that - good or not so good ..

thank you again for sharing your setup with us ..

cheers john
Old 7th November 2017
Special Guest

Couple other things.. this session was very different than most of the UA sessions for a few reasons..
1. It was presented during Music Expo San Francisco and from setup to finished recording we only had 1.5 hours to track the song.
2. It was a partnership with Mojove and Royer Microphones so their mic's were all we used (except for one I brought.. special sauce).
3. We did 3 takes, the track is a comp of mostly take 3 with 2 small edits of take 1 and then the very last 4 bars from a couple of takes of just the tag.
4. I did a couple passes of the strings in one section to try and make it a bit bigger. Eh, sorta worked..
5. There were about 30-40 people in the tracking room and control room..
6. The original plan was to do this tracking session, then move the control room into the tracking room and mix it in front of the live audience. Well, that went wrong badly. When we booted the computer to start mixing, somehow the drive was corrupted and we lost the session. UA got it back after getting it to their shop and doing whatever they did to it.
7. I spent the next hour completely BS-ing with the Audience.. kinda fun..
8. I then mixed it in the box at my studio in Nashville.
Old 7th November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancalot View Post
Couple other things.. this session was very different than most of the UA sessions for a few reasons..
1. It was presented during Music Expo San Francisco and from setup to finished recording we only had 1.5 hours to track the song.
2. It was a partnership with Mojove and Royer Microphones so their mic's were all we used (except for one I brought.. special sauce).
3. We did 3 takes, the track is a comp of mostly take 3 with 2 small edits of take 1 and then the very last 4 bars from a couple of takes of just the tag.
4. I did a couple passes of the strings in one section to try and make it a bit bigger. Eh, sorta worked..
5. There were about 30-40 people in the tracking room and control room..
6. The original plan was to do this tracking session, then move the control room into the tracking room and mix it in front of the live audience. Well, that went wrong badly. When we booted the computer to start mixing, somehow the drive was corrupted and we lost the session. UA got it back after getting it to their shop and doing whatever they did to it.
7. I spent the next hour completely BS-ing with the Audience.. kinda fun..
8. I then mixed it in the box at my studio in Nashville.
haha .. great War Story .. thx for sharing that .. and good job for a less than perfect situation .. and good knowledge for people that think everything always goes well at the higher levels of production .. you have to be flexible - and a bit of an entertainer to boot when necessary !! better bone up on my Soft Shoe Skills !!!

cheers john
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search