The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chris Stapleton
Old 2nd November 2017
Chris Stapleton

Hi Vance, thanks so much for doing this Q&A!

I'm not much of a country fan, but can't help but admire Chris Stapleton's talent. What a killer voice.

I was wondering specifically about the song "Either Way". It's such a minimalist track that showcases the vocal so well.

What was your approach to recording this? Can you share anything about the setup, the chain, and what working with Chris in general is like?

Cheers
Old 7th November 2017
Special Guest

Well, that's a basic "one mic" recording that was 4 mics! I use 2 for Chris's vocal (a Coles 4038 and a U47) and then a stereo Aco Gtr setup with a RCA 77 near the bridge and a Gefel 582 near the neck at 90's to each other. The Coles and 47 are locked together and the Aco mic's are directly under them making a (close) equilateral triangle.. the legs of the triangle are exactly the same length i.e. the distance from the 77 to the Gefel is the same as the 4038/47 are from the 77...
Now, my goal on that song was to just use the 47, as we had done on "Whiskey and you" from Traveller.. but, he sang it so dynamically that it was impossible.. very quiet in the verses and loud loud loud in the chorus's, so it took all 4 to do it.
Here's the chain's.
u47 > 1073 > Fairchild 660
4038 > 1073 > Chandler RS124
77 > UA610 > FATSO LEFT SIDE
582 > UA610 > FATSO RIGHT SIDE
There is a AEA R88 in the room, but I ended up not using it.
Thanks!

Last edited by Gearbot; 9th November 2017 at 04:37 PM..
Old 7th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Stunning

I know we are supposed to ask questions but you did incredible work on this song.
Old 7th November 2017
Special Guest

Thanks, but Chris is the real talent here.. a monkey could have recorded it and it would have been great...
v
Old 7th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancalot View Post
Thanks, but Chris is the real talent here.. a monkey could have recorded it and it would have been great...
v
Your modesty is really cool to see.

Your smart 4 mic setup was certainly no monkey situation though. You did an amazing job of capturing the huge dynamic range in such a natural way. It's like he's right there in the room.
Old 7th November 2017
Gear Nut

Hi Vance,
what's the verb you used here?
Thanks!
Peter
Old 8th November 2017
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiaque View Post
Hi Vance,
what's the verb you used here?
Thanks!
Peter
I believe that is 2 of the stock Avid "Tape Echo" plugin's and the UAD EMT 140.
The EMT Is the entire reason I got into UAD.. still holds up.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search