The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
White Stripes - Conquest Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 2nd November 2017
White Stripes - Conquest

Hi Mr Powell,

As a big fan of your work, I have ask what mics did you use to record the brass section on the White Stripes song, "Conquest"? The timbre of the horns seem to be straight out of the Herb Alpert era of the late 1960's.

Also, what did you use on Meg's kick drum in that song? It sounds so utterly massive, like an AKG-D12E on steroids but bigger.
Old 6th November 2017
special guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBonkers View Post
Hi Mr Powell,

As a big fan of your work, I have ask what mics did you use to record the brass section on the White Stripes song, "Conquest"? The timbre of the horns seem to be straight out of the Herb Alpert era of the late 1960's.

Also, what did you use on Meg's kick drum in that song? It sounds so utterly massive, like an AKG-D12E on steroids but bigger.
That's a Joe Chiccorelli question! he recorded that!
Old 10th November 2017
special guest

Now, I did mix and record all the vocals on the spanish language version of that song.. it's pretty good story, if you want to hear it..
Old 10th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancalot View Post
Now, I did mix and record all the vocals on the spanish language version of that song.. it's pretty good story, if you want to hear it..
Of course!
Old 10th November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancalot View Post
Everyone loves a Vance story!
Old 11th November 2017
special guest

So I was asked to do this Spanish Language version by Jack after doing the Rome record sessions with Danger Mouse. I set up a vocal chain in Blackbird B replicating the chain from the Conquest session docs.

I pulled the Tapes from the vault and started to see what was going on with them.. Joe tracked it on one 2" 16track at 30 its, then created a slave reel on a second machine to do the vocal bounces and horn tracks. he then copied the Horn mix and the BGV Blend back to the Master reel creating a single 16 track master. Brilliant work btw..

I hoped to be able to use the slave reel to do this session and then just mix with both machines in sync. And I could have..except for one little snafu.. Joe had made an edit as they were mixing (a tiny 1/4-ish second edit) at the very top.. now the Flying Fader System would ignore this skip in timecode, but the synchronizers would not.. so the slave reel was now a 1/4 second off at the downbeat.. and it would take 8 or 9 bars before catching up. Not usable. But it did have an unintended cool consequence, that being that when playing both machines at the top the horns from that master (bounced from the slave reel) and the slave reel horns created this somehow perfect echo of each other.. and when I played this for Jack he was like "we have to use that!"
So, I had to make a copy of the master reel to use for this session, and we just rerecorded Jacks verses over the English and left the bridge vocals. When we mixed later in the day we replicated the horn echo my using a pair of PCM 42's.. Personally, I love this version because it is way campy-er (is that a word) than the English version.. Check it out!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/co...ngle/273419369
Old 22nd November 2017
That is a fantastic story!
Mentioned Products
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search