The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
audio rate modulation on S6 (filter fm etc)
Old 18th December 2019
audio rate modulation on S6 (filter fm etc)

i am interested in audio rate (polyphonic) modulation on S6, and where can it be routed...

specifically, is it possible to route one of the oscillators to wonderful SSI filter for some good old filter fm?

of course i mean in polyphonic context, i.e. poly-mod like you would do on Prophet 5.

also, alternatively, can we utilize the polyphonic lfo as sort of limited, quasi third oscillator and route that to filter and/or other things?

i figured out from Sonicstate video lfo is maximum 6 voice polyphonic in all modes, so i suppose this only makes sense in binaural mode when synth is 6 voice polyphonic.

what is maximum range of the LFO in Hertz?

thanks
Old 18th December 2019
Special Guest

Great questions and an area of the synth I'm very proud of!

Quote:
specifically, is it possible to route one of the oscillators to wonderful SSI filter for some good old filter fm?
Yes absolutely, and osc2 can actually be routed to many destinations via the mod matrix. Filter FM from DDS2 has a dedicated slider!

Quote:
of course i mean in polyphonic context, i.e. poly-mod like you would do on Prophet 5.
It's 12 voice polyphonic
Quote:
also, alternatively, can we utilize the polyphonic lfo as sort of limited, quasi third oscillator and route that to filter and/or other things?
You can use LFO1 as a third oscillator as a drone or tracking the keyboard. It can mix in with the DDS1 or DDS signal path through the analogue section

Quote:
i figured out from Sonicstate video lfo is maximum 6 voice polyphonic in all modes, so i suppose this only makes sense in binaural mode when synth is 6 voice polyphonic.
That's correct

Quote:
what is maximum range of the LFO in Hertz?
It's somewhere 10-20kHz, I would need to verify

In addition the LFO can also be used as an envelope in "One shot" mode and can be either free running or reset on key press.

All with dedicated controls

Hope this helps
Old 19th December 2019
Lives for gear

Hi George,

Filter FM immediately grabbed me after hearing the VCF track as an oscillator.

In your next demo could you demonstrate modulating the filter at audio rate, whilst key tracking the filter as an oscillator? This aspect greatly interests me, considering that the self-resonant filter can be used as an analog oscillator, to see just how many wave shapes can be coaxed out of it through FM.

Last edited by aleyas; 19th December 2019 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 19th December 2019
Special Guest

I';ll try this out and see what I can do!

George
Old 19th December 2019
Gear Head

Is there a way to perform dynamic FM? Maybe controlled by any of the EGs or a simpler modulación AD envelope?

Can you do linear FM to keep stable pitch in all ranges?
Old 20th December 2019
@ George Hearn thanks for the detailed reply, that's wonderful news.

this synth just keeps getting better and better
📝 Reply