The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mono compatibility of the binaural setting
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear

Mono compatibility of the binaural setting

Hi George,

Great to have you here.

May I ask if you’ve done any testing for mono compatibility of the synth? I ask because many people these days are (unfortunately) listening to music on mono Bluetooth speakers - in fact, we have one in the kitchen that we use.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 18th December 2019
Special Guest

Hi and thanks for your question. When pulling out the right jack, the synth signal sums to mono on the left jack. This allows us to test the mono output on all of our patches. They do not sound the same of course, but some of the fears about phase cancellation can be mitigated because left and right oscillators are not detuned relative to eachother in binaural mode, only their partials are dephased, this results in amplitude change when mixing left and right and will change the sound, but to our ears it is still nice. This is a bit different for the filter self oscillating resonance that can be detuned left to right with the LR phase control. This has a tendency then to 'beat' on some patches, however to my ears at least this is often quite nice.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear