The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Binaural deets
Old 14th December 2019
Binaural deets

Can you expound on the whole binaural concept as it applies to this synth? Can you dial in specific binaural beat frequencies for the crystal lovers? Can we place elements of the sound not just left and right but behind the listener etc. Love the sound so far!
Old 18th December 2019
Special Guest

Quote:
Can you expound on the whole binaural concept as it applies to this synth?
The Binaural refers to the twin synthesizer signal paths. In Binaural mode, each channel ‘ear’ has a complete synthesizer voice. You can detune (and de-phase) the left and right oscillators, amplitude and filter (and indeed other parameters) relative to each-other. The effect is subtle to extreme stereo movement and an improved sense of 3D positioning relative to conventional mono signal-chains panned at the output. It has in this sense 6 “Super voices” that each use two “conventional” voices, hence “Super 6”

Quote:
Can you dial in specific binaural beat frequencies for the crystal lovers?
Not really I'm afraid, but you can self oscillate the filter and detune left and right using the LR phase control and the LFO for a related effect!

Quote:
Can we place elements of the sound not just left and right but behind the listener etc. Love the sound so far!
It's not really exactly what the synth was designed for BUT this actually can be the effect at some control settings. Try listening to this demo in headphones to see what I mean. It's quite long but some parts are really nice and spatial, it's all improvised!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahPuoA-NeeQ
Old 18th December 2019
Thanks for the detailed answer!
Old 19th December 2019
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Can you expound on the whole binaural concept as it applies to this synth? Can you dial in specific binaural beat frequencies for the crystal lovers? Can we place elements of the sound not just left and right but behind the listener etc. Love the sound so far!
Binaural in its ' esoteric ' sense works really as the ears each effect the 2 hemispheres of the brain , in Shamanism one technique is 2 shaman shout in the left and right ears of the student different things at the same time.( genuine fact )

In doing so the brain becomes kind of confused and then naturally centres or an altered state of mind is achieved as a reaction to the differences the left and right ears are perceiving and how that freaks out the brain.

My point is the Super 6 can do the same as can any use of stereo offsetting and modulation , its why we find it pleasing and ' wow ' thats cool..... any stereo offset / spatial fx / effects the brain in this way basically altering the brain state.

Trust me i am from Cornwall.
Old 19th December 2019
Special Guest

Thanks KSP!
Old 19th December 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksp View Post
Trust me i am from Cornwall.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear