The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question for Scott... Single-Channel Preamps
Old 25th October 2009
Lives for gear

Question for Scott (or Chris)...

Hi Scott.

Downloaded the stems for Swallow Me today and was playing around with the mix. Really like the sound of those guitars. Any details on the tracking of them... guitars, amps, mics and positions and are they EQ'd or is that the way they sounded during tracking? Sounds like maybe a Mesa on the left and something else on the right (I realize there's a more mid focused grungier more low-fi one up the middle too) and maybe a stock Gibson?

By the way, I was living in TO around '89-'90 with a couple of buddies who were engineering and assisting at Phase One and remember them talking about your mad programming skills... very cool to read your bio and see the things you've worked on since that time (was around the time of the Alannah Myles stuff).

TIA

-Glenn
Old 25th October 2009
special guest

Hi Glenn, wow Phase One? That was a long time ago, I started working there in the early 80s.. I remember working on Alannah's record at McClear (I think that was the name?). As for the guitar tone on Swallow, I don't remember exactly what the combination was. I typically run 3 or 4 heads into 4/12 cabs and also mult-off to 3 or 4 combos and do a blend of all to a single track at a time. Neve 1073 and 1081 mic pre's and sometimes a limiter across the entire group. That's why they make recall sheets right? Ha!! Thanks for checking in...
Old 25th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Humphrey View Post
Hi Glenn, wow Phase One? That was a long time ago, I started working there in the early 80s.. I remember working on Alannah's record at McClear (I think that was the name?). As for the guitar tone on Swallow, I don't remember exactly what the combination was. I typically run 3 or 4 heads into 4/12 cabs and also mult-off to 3 or 4 combos and do a blend of all to a single track at a time. Neve 1073 and 1081 mic pre's and sometimes a limiter across the entire group. That's why they make recall sheets right? Ha!! Thanks for checking in...
Yeah that was a while ago! I remember my buddies Darren and Kevin mentioning your name alot around then. They were involved with David Wilcox and Blue Rodeo and other stuff around that time... your paths must have crossed on some project somewhere... they said you were quite the whiz at what you were doing. Darren's at L.A. Recording School now in admin, Kevin became Blue Rodeo's tour manager for several years but left the business after that. Don't know what happened to Marty "O." I remember David Ben:deth:'s name mentioned alot at that time in regards to Phase One... I think he was A&R (BMG?)

Hey thanks for the info about the guitars, sounds like they were a bit more involved than what I had suspected, they sound really cool. Is that the home made "killswitch" on them at the beginning of Swallow Me?

Thanks, man.
Old 25th October 2009
special guest

Correct, that's the homemade kill switch..
Old 25th October 2009
Lives for gear

Excellent... I'll have to make one and try it out!

Thanks a bunch for you guys stopping by here and answering some questions... very cool of you. Might try to get in a guitar submission for Swallow Me today!

-Glenn.
Old 26th October 2009
special guest

Please...send it!!
Old 26th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Humphrey View Post
Please...send it!!
Submission sent! Did an acoustic guitar for the breakdown at 2:23 of Swallow Me (which would replace the electric). Hope I got it uploaded in time... the submission was successful so I guess I made it
Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search