The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Side chaining and ducking...
Old 10th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Side chaining and ducking...

I know compression is like ice cream... everyone likes diffeent flavors but, I was wonder if SlipperMan and others would care to share how(if) you use sidechaining in your mixes. ie kick/bass, vox/gtrs, etc. Also, is it something you ALWAYS do or do you listen for signs of neccessity?
Old 10th March 2003
Re: Side chaining and ducking...

Quote:
Originally posted by RSMITH123
I know compression is like ice cream... everyone likes diffeent flavors but, I was wonder if SlipperMan and others would care to share how(if) you use sidechaining in your mixes. ie kick/bass, vox/gtrs, etc. Also, is it something you ALWAYS do or do you listen for signs of neccessity?
The answer is yes.

I don't do it in the usual fashion though(EQ into comp sidechain), I create seperate mults or submixes thay either accentuate or suck out the freq's I don't want in the tracks.

I am not big fan of compression on dynamic instruments such as kick,bass and snare(either eats away at the bass info or takes away some of the clarity). I prefer to mix in my subs with the original(combo of EQ and comp and anything else). It makes the tracks bigger and more present in the mix.

I will do it on vocals though. In most cases though the comp is more like an EQ than a comp. I prefer the EQ before the comp in these cases(it makes the comp more freq dependent).
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search