The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Few questions for Kieran !
Old 25th April 2020
Here for the gear

Few questions for Kieran !

Hi Kieran, thank you for doing this Q&A! I have a few questions for you! first, a question often asked of artists, how do you design your kicks? you add several kick, with processing, or you start from scratch and you create your kick like for example with punchbox (d16)? secondly, I hear very often on your tracks or during your live, very distorted cymbals with a rendering quite similar to an electric current or even a taser (I have no other idea of ​​how to ask you), I asked how you could do this kind of thing, you experiment all the types of distortion to arrive at this kind of sound? last question (sorry if it's a bit long), when you create a track for an EP or an album, do you create on modular or do you work mainly on computer? Thank you in advance for your answers. ps: sorry for my bad english.
Old 29th April 2020
Special Guest

kicks are a nightmare and I spent most of my time making them, never use the same one more than once as I feel its the heart of the track and its where it all begins for me, lots of layers making sure everything is in phase and in the key is very important, I love to fully distortion versions and filter and layer them, modulating the stereo width to create a big sound, a decent limiter to bring down the transient to give headroom to push everything up, and eq out a lot of unused and resonant frequencies so you can really push it into a limiter.

for the hats that just distorting them with other texturally rich stuff in a group until they become one.

i basically just mess around until i find something i like, on laptop or moduler