The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequencers?
Old 24th April 2020
Sequencers?

Hi Kieran, thank you for doing this Q&A
Looking at some gear in videos, I noticed a few different sequencers. So I want to ask a bit about that.
Do you have any favorite? Why?
I assume you use different sequencers on stage. Your music is pretty tight (it being techno) so I wonder if you use multiple sequencers and how do you sync those?
I spotted the NerdSeq eurorack sequencer. you still have it?
Old 24th April 2020
Special Guest

Hey, sequencers have been what seemed like a never-ending hunt for me, I think what I wanted, didn't exist. for instance, I love the rene by make noise or the doepfer a-115 as they are so hands-on and very immediate also the fact you can have them none quantised to get some micro tuning going, but overall lacked a lot of functions and improvising completely live with them was stressful when you couldn't make a good sequence and had to bang it in any way. then something like the nerd sequencer or winter modular that offered loads of functions but were a bit menu divey and not ideal for improvisation. the best step pro was the most promising when it came out but is built very poorly and I went through a fair amount of them touring. I found a nice medium in the Akai force using the polyend midi to cv converter, saved a tone of space as it was my sampler as well and means more modules in the case, but still lacks a modular sequencer vibe and not as instant for me live. so yeah seems like its always a compromise. everything is synced via clock I tend to avoid midi always had issues even using an erm multi clock.
Old 25th April 2020
Thanks! That's helpful.