The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mono kit mic
Old 26th April 2007
Gear Maniac

Mono kit mic

An enourmous thanks for doing this, Tchad. I'm a big admirer of your work. In fact, I can honestly say that your work on Kiko inspired me to spend more time tweaking in the studio and less time playing my guitar. --which may have been a good thing, may have been a bad thing--who's to say... anyway..

Could you elaborate on how you place your mono kit mic? In between K and Sn... as in underneath the snare, or to the side of the sn...? What are you looking for sound-wise?

You mentioned using a 441. Why that mic in particular?

How did you discover this methodology? (i know there's a good story here..)

Thanks in advance. You rule.
Old 27th April 2007
mongrell mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
An enourmous thanks for doing this, Tchad. I'm a big admirer of your work. In fact, I can honestly say that your work on Kiko inspired me to spend more time tweaking in the studio and less time playing my guitar. --which may have been a good thing, may have been a bad thing--who's to say... anyway..

Could you elaborate on how you place your mono kit mic? In between K and Sn... as in underneath the snare, or to the side of the sn...? What are you looking for sound-wise?

You mentioned using a 441. Why that mic in particular?

How did you discover this methodology? (i know there's a good story here..)

Thanks in advance. You rule.
Originally I was unhappy with extreme compression on the standard kit mics but I loved the direction it was going and thought if I could just add a bit in from a separate source that might do it. 441 has good proximity effect with decent directionality in close quarters.
I go in from the front, over the top of the Kick and point the mic loosely towards the bottom of the throne, i.e down to the ground, and move it closer to the Sn or K depending on what's required for that track.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search