The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vocal sound on Joseph Arthur's "Invisible Hands"
Old 26th April 2007
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
bryancook's Avatar
 

Vocal sound on Joseph Arthur's "Invisible Hands"

Do you remember how you got that incredibly intimate vocal sound on Joseph Arthur's song "Invisible Hands" on the Come to Where I'm From record? Its a kind of compression that doesn't have a distracting attack or release, its just insanely compressed in the best of ways.

That has to be the most emotional mix I've ever heard. Incredible work, my friend.
Old 26th April 2007
  #2
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

tiny echos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryancook View Post
Do you remember how you got that incredibly intimate vocal sound on Joseph Arthur's song "Invisible Hands" on the Come to Where I'm From record? Its a kind of compression that doesn't have a distracting attack or release, its just insanely compressed in the best of ways.

That has to be the most emotional mix I've ever heard. Incredible work, my friend.
Joe is singing very softly on that one so no matter what I did I don't think there would be ugly artifacts. Wait, did I mix that song?
If I did it's probably a Distressor set fast.
4:1
Dist.3
[email protected]
[email protected]
That's my starting point for Distressor settings.
Old 26th April 2007
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
leigh's Avatar
 

Ha, I was asking about Invisible Hands too, adding some questions on to the other J Arthur thread.

Still curious about all the other stuff going on with that mix... like I said, it sounds like a great example of a musically sparse arrangement that was given a lot of sonic motion in the mix.

Cheers,
Leigh
Old 27th April 2007
  #4
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
Ha, I was asking about Invisible Hands too, adding some questions on to the other J Arthur thread.

Still curious about all the other stuff going on with that mix... like I said, it sounds like a great example of a musically sparse arrangement that was given a lot of sonic motion in the mix.

Cheers,
Leigh
I'm sorry, I don't remember specifics. I'll try to listen.
Old 27th April 2007
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
bryancook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
I'm sorry, I don't remember specifics. I'll try to listen.
also if you have time to listen to that vocal sound in the chorus of Suzanne Vega's "Headshots" I'd really appreciate knowing whats up with that. i'm really into wide stereo and it don't get much wider than that!
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump