The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
having a life and doing what we do?
Old 25th April 2007
Gear Maniac

having a life and doing what we do?

How does it feel living and working in England now, as compared to LA?

Do you think it would have been possible to make that move when you were less known and established?

What are your feelings on doing what we do and managing to keep some sort of family and social life? Is mixing the only way to do this, as most musicians like to start later in the day and work into the night? I know its not "cool" or traditional to NOT be a workaholic and work yourself into a lonely and physically sick state. But I am determined to enjoy life both inside and outside of the studio.

I get frustrated when I can't see my wife, my friends, have people over for dinner, chat, see friends' bands play etc. But I think if I were to only mix, I would miss that feeling of conception of a song - that feeling where everyone knows the magical take just happened. Happiness takes a balance of different activities right?

thoughts? thank you!!
Old 25th April 2007
mongrell mixer

studio life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryancook View Post
How does it feel living and working in England now, as compared to LA?

Do you think it would have been possible to make that move when you were less known and established?

What are your feelings on doing what we do and managing to keep some sort of family and social life? Is mixing the only way to do this, as most musicians like to start later in the day and work into the night? I know its not "cool" or traditional to NOT be a workaholic and work yourself into a lonely and physically sick state. But I am determined to enjoy life both inside and outside of the studio.

I get frustrated when I can't see my wife, my friends, have people over for dinner, chat, see friends' bands play etc. But I think if I were to only mix, I would miss that feeling of conception of a song - that feeling where everyone knows the magical take just happened. Happiness takes a balance of different activities right?

thoughts? thank you!!
I live in the country here in blighty and it's relatively slow and quiet and I like the change. I'm sure it did make the transition easier having a body of work out there.
When I started with Mitchell Froom, he had strict studio hours which we pretty much kept to for 15 years. 11am-9pm with one hour meal breaks.
We found we got more done that didn't need to be re-done down the line which ultimately saved time and money. Most of the artists got into it.
Sometimes you just can't do that and you have to weather it, but you need to have a life, music is a great thing we do, but it's not a life.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search