The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tchad Blake résumé Dynamic Microphones
Old 24th April 2007
Gear Head

Tchad Blake résumé

Hi Tchad and thanks so much for taking the time to do this!

I was wondering if you could give us a breif run through your life in audio?
You know ... How did you get into music, get to be an engineer, what studios have you been connected to, any great influences ect.

I know this could take forever to list, so just a basic overview i all I'm asking

Thanks!

Best regards Thomas
Old 26th April 2007
mongrell mixer

My Storey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tho_dk View Post
Hi Tchad and thanks so much for taking the time to do this!

I was wondering if you could give us a breif run through your life in audio?
You know ... How did you get into music, get to be an engineer, what studios have you been connected to, any great influences ect.

I know this could take forever to list, so just a basic overview i all I'm asking

Thanks!

Best regards Thomas
Sorry if I ramble, I'm gettin up in years and.....I'll just start

Always loved sounds . I used to record on cassette, getting up in the morning, going to school, walking around, football games, walking in and ordering at a burger joint, anything, and then listen back to it all in the evening. I liked taking those sounds out of thir natural context and hearing them in another, being, my room late at night.
I was a mediocre guitar player and knew it so I sold some gear and became a runner for Dick Clark Productions. I met and worked for Brett Webster, a location recordist who told me about engineering and pointed me to an upcoming AES show which I went to and was blown away.
I started making rounds at local Hollywood studios but had a small connection from the DCP days at Wally Heider Recording. I must have knocked on their door asking for a job thirty times in a three month period. They finally said, yes!, we need someone and you start today!
I was on reception and phones in one of their buildings for a month with The Rolling Stones in studio B doing what I believe became 'Tattoo You' (not sure which album really).
Equipment room officer, janitor, reception, runner. That was the gig. But there was a special thing going on there and that was a maintainence engineer we called OhmLad, aka Sherman Keene. He was writing an engineering book and wanted to test it out on whoever wanted to show up for after work classes. He was amazing. Inspirational. Got me thinking crazy thoughts.
Was there for three years.'79-83
Went on to work at Mad Dog Studios for a year then the Sound Factory where an old Heider's mate Phil McConnell was mananger.
There I worked for David Leonard, the first engineer I'd come across that was really creative in his approach. Alot rubbed off.
Met Mitchell Froom there and got on well enough to collaborate for 15 years learning a lot about music in the meantime.
Bloody fun 15 years.
That's enough of me.
Old 26th April 2007
Lives for gear

Sherman Keene, He wrote a great book that had so many unusual techniques for the day. I still have that book and reference it all the time even 20 years later. I can see that influence in your work. He had a very free spirited, "No Rules" kind of approach.

Great quick history and thanks for being here.

Michael Greene
Old 26th April 2007
Gear nut

That Sherman Keene book was my intro into "real" recording & engineering...

Thanks,
Old 25th May 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
Sorry if I ramble, I'm gettin up in years and.....I'll just start

Always loved sounds . I used to record on cassette, getting up in the morning, going to school, walking around, football games, walking in and ordering at a burger joint, anything, and then listen back to it all in the evening. I liked taking those sounds out of thir natural context and hearing them in another, being, my room late at night.
I was a mediocre guitar player and knew it so I sold some gear and became a runner for Dick Clark Productions. I met and worked for Brett Webster, a location recordist who told me about engineering and pointed me to an upcoming AES show which I went to and was blown away.
I started making rounds at local Hollywood studios but had a small connection from the DCP days at Wally Heider Recording. I must have knocked on their door asking for a job thirty times in a three month period. They finally said, yes!, we need someone and you start today!
I was on reception and phones in one of their buildings for a month with The Rolling Stones in studio B doing what I believe became 'Tattoo You' (not sure which album really).
Equipment room officer, janitor, reception, runner. That was the gig. But there was a special thing going on there and that was a maintainence engineer we called OhmLad, aka Sherman Keene. He was writing an engineering book and wanted to test it out on whoever wanted to show up for after work classes. He was amazing. Inspirational. Got me thinking crazy thoughts.
Was there for three years.'79-83
Went on to work at Mad Dog Studios for a year then the Sound Factory where an old Heider's mate Phil McConnell was mananger.
There I worked for David Leonard, the first engineer I'd come across that was really creative in his approach. Alot rubbed off.
Met Mitchell Froom there and got on well enough to collaborate for 15 years learning a lot about music in the meantime.
Bloody fun 15 years.
That's enough of me.
One more thing ... looking at the years in the quote just wondering when you where born?

Thanks!

Thomas
Old 26th May 2007
mongrell mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tho_dk View Post
One more thing ... looking at the years in the quote just wondering when you where born?

Thanks!

Thomas
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search