The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Instrument placement during mixing
Old 23rd April 2007
Gear Addict

Instrument placement during mixing

Hi Tchad,

Do you have a guideline in your head as to where you like each instrument to sit frequency wise when mixing eg- you like to feel the fundamentals of a kick at xxhz with a bit of support at xxhz while xxkhz helps poke it's head out in the mids while the bass is centred around xx with a touch of xx etc, or is it different everytime depending on the song and/or artist?
Would you care to share some of these, or would that be giving away your secrets?

Many Thanks,

Rick
Old 23rd April 2007
mongrell mixer

No secrets here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickstein View Post
Hi Tchad,

Do you have a guideline in your head as to where you like each instrument to sit frequency wise when mixing eg- you like to feel the fundamentals of a kick at xxhz with a bit of support at xxhz while xxkhz helps poke it's head out in the mids while the bass is centred around xx with a touch of xx etc, or is it different everytime depending on the song and/or artist?
Would you care to share some of these, or would that be giving away your secrets?

Many Thanks,

Rick
I don't know exactly. I do try to cut down on 'like' frequencies. If the hat has a lot of 5K, back it off on the guitars....etc. I have no template. I wing it every time.
There are no secrets, it's all right there on in the music your listening to.
Try to figure it out and you'll come up with your own thing you may like better.
When I used to play guitar, I'd try and learn songs and solos from records. I didn't buy magazines with the notation of every recorded song out. I'd spend hours failing but I'd finally get something I thought sounded just like the record. I could play it.
Years later I'd find out that it was three different guitar parts put together on a multitrack, but I had learned to play it solo. I don't think I'd have tried to learn it if I had known that from the git.
Jeez, that's a bloody long winded way of saying wing it.
Old 24th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
Jeez, that's a bloody long winded way of saying wing it.
heh heh thumbsup
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search