The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
knowing when "it's done" when mixing
Old 22nd April 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
carlheinz's Avatar
 

knowing when "it's done" when mixing

Thanks Tchad!
I realize every artist will vary when it comes to this...but...Budget aside...With the seemingly endless options we have in the rec studio these days,It's easy to keep working on something till it's overbaked.When mixing,How or when do you come to the point where you say"this is done"...especially if like Peter Gabriel is down the hall after recording something over a 10 year period.Not an easy task to say"yeah,here it is Pete"...or mabie it is!Is there a specific sound you like to arrive at that you have in mind or is your approach to mixing more trial and error before you go back to things you know that have worked for you in the past.Is there a final inspection you go through before inviting everyone in to listen or sending a mix off.Do you put the mix on your ipod/earbuds and go for a bike ride?Or..(joking here)do you just say to the artist I didn't use the the other 96 tracks of ideas because they really compete that killer vocal" or.....and finally...what is the most time you've spent mixing a song?-Sorry if this got more involved!
Old 22nd April 2007
  #2
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

mix time

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz View Post
Thanks Tchad!
I realize every artist will vary when it comes to this...but...Budget aside...With the seemingly endless options we have in the rec studio these days,It's easy to keep working on something till it's overbaked.When mixing,How or when do you come to the point where you say"this is done"...especially if like Peter Gabriel is down the hall after recording something over a 10 year period.Not an easy task to say"yeah,here it is Pete"...or mabie it is!Is there a specific sound you like to arrive at that you have in mind or is your approach to mixing more trial and error before you go back to things you know that have worked for you in the past.Is there a final inspection you go through before inviting everyone in to listen or sending a mix off.Do you put the mix on your ipod/earbuds and go for a bike ride?Or..(joking here)do you just say to the artist I didn't use the the other 96 tracks of ideas because they really compete that killer vocal" or.....and finally...what is the most time you've spent mixing a song?-Sorry if this got more involved!
All of the above and... I don't know. I get a mix finished to my ears then the artist has a go and usually improves on my mix. I like the collaboration.
When the artist is present, I feel freer to experiment. That said, with the PT's/DigiDelivery mixing in the box thing, it's easy to have five songs going at once so if the artist can't be there it's easy to back and forth with changes.
Longest mix time,
Five days running, not counting two recalls, is the longest I've ever spent on a mix, but it included re-arranging and recording new parts.
Just purely mixing, three days. A binaural mix done for Sam Phillips record Martinis and Bikinis, track was 'Black Sky'. All sounds were sent through 10-12 different guitar amps or p.a.'s set up around the room and recorded through a Neuman Head direct to two track. A lot of the balancing was done by physicaly moving the amps (some were in metal trash cans) around the room.
That was fun. I won't say it's a great mix, but it was fun.
Old 23rd April 2007
  #3
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
That said, with the PT's/DigiDelivery mixing in the box thing, it's easy to have five songs going at once so if the artist can't be there it's easy to back and forth with changes.
When juggling 5 mixes (ITB), how much is "in the Box"? Have you printed most of your outboard processing for faster recallability? Or are you restoring settings for each mix?

Thanks so much for your insight here! I've been a HUGE fan for many years.

Tim
Old 23rd April 2007
  #4
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

in box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timsplace View Post
When juggling 5 mixes (ITB), how much is "in the Box"? Have you printed most of your outboard processing for faster recallability? Or are you restoring settings for each mix?

Thanks so much for your insight here! I've been a HUGE fan for many years.

Tim
Anything outboard is recorded into the box so there's no set up time when recalling.
Old 25th April 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
pete's Avatar
 

how do you deal with D/A A/D delay when processing OTB?

(I think Tchad has PTHD which has Auto Delay Compensation built in - Jules)
Old 25th April 2007
  #6
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

latentcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
how do you deal with D/A A/D delay when processing OTB?

(I think Tchad has PTHD which has Auto Delay Compensation built in - Jules)
I couldn't use digital with the way I mix until they got compensation. That's why it's all happening now.
Old 25th April 2007
  #7
Are you completely happy with the performance of the compensation?

Thanks.
Old 26th April 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
paterno's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
Just purely mixing, three days. A binaural mix done for Sam Phillips record Martinis and Bikinis, track was 'Black Sky'. All sounds were sent through 10-12 different guitar amps or p.a.'s set up around the room and recorded through a Neuman Head direct to two track. A lot of the balancing was done by physicaly moving the amps (some were in metal trash cans) around the room.
That was fun. I won't say it's a great mix, but it was fun.
May I just add a bit of clarification -- you did not leave the studio for three days !!!!

Don't sell yourself short -- 'Black Sky' is a great mix, and I would bet the first of it's kind, if not the only one of its kind! In headphones it is quite incredible, and even as a stereo mix through speakers it sounds cool. I listened to that record a few days ago for the first time in ages. There are a lot of great things on it, Tchad. One of my favorites of yours...

Cheers and have fun!

John
Old 26th April 2007
  #9
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno View Post
May I just add a bit of clarification -- you did not leave the studio for three days !!!!

Don't sell yourself short -- 'Black Sky' is a great mix, and I would bet the first of it's kind, if not the only one of its kind! In headphones it is quite incredible, and even as a stereo mix through speakers it sounds cool. I listened to that record a few days ago for the first time in ages. There are a lot of great things on it, Tchad. One of my favorites of yours...

Cheers and have fun!

John
Hi John, boy am I glad you're here. Any chance you can spot me? Like the old days?
Old 26th April 2007
  #10
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Are you completely happy with the performance of the compensation?

Thanks.
yes. And if it's not enough I region time shift.
Old 26th April 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
paterno's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
Hi John, boy am I glad you're here. Any chance you can spot me? Like the old days?
As always, whatever you need, my friend...

JP
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump