The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mixing levels and mono
Old 18th March 2007
Gear Maniac

mixing levels and mono

Hi Tchad.

I saw in another forum how you like to mix at 80-85dB. Do you tend to stay at that volume or do you only do certain tasks (EQing, balancing, etc) at that level? I've heard many engineers say they like to mix at quite a low volume, the theory being if you can get it sounding great at that level, it should be all the better when turned up.

Also, do you mix very much in mono, after deciding on pans, to get levels and the EQing done?

Thanks a bunch
Old 22nd April 2007
mongrell mixer

Fletcher Munson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbar View Post
Hi Tchad.

I saw in another forum how you like to mix at 80-85dB. Do you tend to stay at that volume or do you only do certain tasks (EQing, balancing, etc) at that level? I've heard many engineers say they like to mix at quite a low volume, the theory being if you can get it sounding great at that level, it should be all the better when turned up.

Also, do you mix very much in mono, after deciding on pans, to get levels and the EQing done?

Thanks a bunch
As I understand, 85db is the level where frequency response in air/ear is flatest. I check loud and soft. I change my listening levels but try to stay in the 85db area most of the time.
Too loud or to soft monitoring while mixing can ruin a mix.
I occasionally check mono just to see what happens to my effects. Curiosity.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search