The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tchad Blake - Bernard Fanning album
Old 2nd March 2007
Gear Addict

Tchad Blake - Bernard Fanning album

Hey Tchad,

on most of my favourite albums, either Mitchell or you or both are involved - I don't know what it is, but that sound really gets to me...

Anyway, I'm really impressed with the vocal and acoustic guitar tones on Bernard Fanning's "Tea & Sympathy" album. Would you mind shedding some light on the recording/mixing chains?

Admire your work,

Recky
Old 4th March 2007
mongrell mixer

Fanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by recky View Post
Hey Tchad,

on most of my favourite albums, either Mitchell or you or both are involved - I don't know what it is, but that sound really gets to me...

Anyway, I'm really impressed with the vocal and acoustic guitar tones on Bernard Fanning's "Tea & Sympathy" album. Would you mind shedding some light on the recording/mixing chains?

Admire your work,

Recky
Hi, I think mostly we used Neumann KMS105's on vocal and acoustic guitar. Side rejection is incredible on those and was much needed as we did the vocals and ac. gtr live. There's a hi frequency component I don't much like but it wasn't enough to worry about. We also used a 'Telefunken 251' reissue (>Neve 1073(EQbypassed)>Distressor (distortion always 'on' in my house)>PT) on a couple of songs. Just the one mic on 'Watch Over Me'. Great, great mic that re-issue.
Mixed on an SSL G.
Old 4th March 2007
Gear Addict

...great compliments from over here. Just bought the album 2 days ago, can't stop listening to it. Wonderful songwriting, wonderful sound, incredible vocal performance.
Congratulations!

Tom
Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Tchad,

I really enjoyed your interview in Audio Technology Magazine (Aussie Audio Tech Mag) and took to heart your approach to working quickly . It means I have fresh ears and my energy is higher when I make mix decission and it make me more in touch with my instincts and intuitive reactions to the music. I've taken to being fresh and energised around the musos and the mix and making notes and solving problems away from the studio. It's working for me and it's thanks to you.

So thanks for giving your attentions to Australian artists and helping bring the talent down here to the rest of the world!

With regard to Bernard Fanning can you recall which songs are the Tele 251 chain?

Lastly I gotta say that there seems to be a definte vibe to your work. Atmosphere, mood and energy are in abundance, I think you must be putting the artists you work with in a very good headspace. Any tips?

Thanks Tchad
Peace,
cortisol
Old 4th March 2007
mongrell mixer

Fanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
Hi Tchad,

I really enjoyed your interview in Audio Technology Magazine (Aussie Audio Tech Mag) and took to heart your approach to working quickly . It means I have fresh ears and my energy is higher when I make mix decission and it make me more in touch with my instincts and intuitive reactions to the music. I've taken to being fresh and energised around the musos and the mix and making notes and solving problems away from the studio. It's working for me and it's thanks to you.

So thanks for giving your attentions to Australian artists and helping bring the talent down here to the rest of the world!

With regard to Bernard Fanning can you recall which songs are the Tele 251 chain?

Lastly I gotta say that there seems to be a definte vibe to your work. Atmosphere, mood and energy are in abundance, I think you must be putting the artists you work with in a very good headspace. Any tips?

Thanks Tchad
Peace,
cortisol
Thx for the note, the only song I can remember is 'Watch Over Me' but I'm sure there was at least one more. I'd have to listen.
Tips. hmmmmmm....buy property.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search