Bass Guitar general thoughts.
Old 2nd February 2014
Bass Guitar general thoughts.

Normal for Bass to vary per tune and style but I'm curious if you
have some favorite techniques or preferences in recording or mixing
this instrument?

Can't argue with those choices! Thanks for reply and looking forward
to diagram.
Is that multiple LA-3A's chained or 1/track, 1/mix?
Old 7th February 2014
The ultimate bass rig and recording set-up:

Fender Jazz Bass
Ampeg SVT vintage 70's bass head
Ampeg 8x10 bass cab
Countryman DI
Neve 1073 mic pre/EQ
Urie LA-3As

BOOM!
I will come back with a diagram of this one!!!!!
Old 7th February 2014
Gear Addict

Do you have a favourite mic for bass cabs?
Old 7th February 2014
Sylvia, if you don't mind me asking, what is it about the LA-3A that you particularly like on bass compared to some of your other compressors? I'm sure it' s mostly a matter of trial and error and this signal chain working for you over the years, but as you have access to all those sexy, bug broadcast limiters, etc. I have to wonder what it is about the LA-3A that does it for you.

BTW, I spent one morning at Sunset Sound w/you on a Powerman 5K album, with my hungover band trying to extemporize 3 part harmonies over a song we had never heard before and you were an absolute peach; very encouraging and pleasant as we struggled to come up with something.
Old 10th February 2014
A little bit more about my favorite bass set-up. I choose the LA-3A's just for ease and consistency. They are often two in a rack, and I am used to the analog metering. I put the DI in one side and the amp in the other. Plug in and go. Easy-peasy.

I prefer a single Sennheiser 421 close micing the Ampeg cab. AKG D112 is another option. I don't usually use condenser mics on bass cabs
Old 10th February 2014
Thanks for clarification and further detail. You're a breadth of fresh air in your sharing.
Many great recordings to you!
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear
Hi Sylvia, I am a jazz bass guy myself. Related to that, I have a question : Do you ever mess with or ask the player to adjust the tone rolloff knob when you track, or do you prefer it wide open?
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

Do you prefer passive basses over active?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search